Error 0x8007F0F4 when trying to install update KB2686509 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I have tried several times to install the recent security update KB2686509. Each time it fails with error 0x8007F0F4. Fixes that other people have reported online have not worked for me. For example, there is no file on my system called "faultykeyboard.log". I also do not have a registry key named "Scancode Map" that I can delete. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Richard Koett.

Monday, May 14, 2012 7:23 PM

Answers

• I wrote a VB Script to fix two problems while running microsoft security update KB2686509

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout\Scancode Map
    and
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layouts

for those who are no registry freaks.

Here you can download my little hotfix as ZIP-file.

What does it do? Nothing magic!

1. makes a registry backup

2. delete Scancode Map if exists

3. checks every keyentry in Keyboard Layouts against existing file in %SystemRoot%\System32

Hope I help someone with this script.

Regards
    Christian

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 3:24 AM

All replies

• KB2686509 - Failure - due to remapping of a key - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/10829.kb2686509-failure-due-to-remapping-of-a-key.aspx

KB2686509 - Failure - due to upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows XP -

TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/10876.kb2686509-failure-due-to-upgrade-from-windows-98-to-windows-xp.aspx

KB2686509 - Failure due to missing DLL files - TechNet Articles - United

States (English) - TechNet Wiki:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/10880.kb2686509-failure-due-to-missing-dll-files.aspx

Thanks to SB and the patch management list...

Monday, May 14, 2012 8:50 PM
  • Thank you for your reply, but the solutions you linked to are only applicable if either (a) a file exists called faultykeyboard.log, or (b) a registry key exists called "Scancode Map". As I mentioned in my original post, neither of these conditions apply in my case and the corresponding instructions cannot be carried out on my computer.

Other suggestions?

Monday, May 14, 2012 9:10 PM
  • Can you dump out your keyboard layout and keyboard layouts registries and email them to susan-at-msmvps.com?  You have the one last root cause I'm not sure of yet.

• Proposed as answer by fdicko1 Monday, May 21, 2012 7:24 AM
    Monday, May 14, 2012 10:12 PM
  • I wrote a VB Script to fix two problems while running microsoft security update KB2686509

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout\Scancode Map
    and
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layouts

for those who are no registry freaks.

Here you can download my little hotfix as ZIP-file.

What does it do? Nothing magic!

1. makes a registry backup

2. delete Scancode Map if exists

3. checks every keyentry in Keyboard Layouts against existing file in %SystemRoot%\System32

Hope I help someone with this script.

Regards
    Christian

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 3:24 AM
  • We had the same problem on windows2003 machines. In your case we had a key"IgnoreRemoteKeyboardLayout" under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout.

Deleting that setting allowed the update KB2686509 to install correctly. After reboot we imported the key again.

Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by KPTheProf Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:23 PM
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:29 PM
  • Hi Susan:

Thanks. I have e-mailed the .REG files as requested.

Sincerely,
    Richard.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 5:26 PM
  • Hi Christian:

I ran your script, but the output ends with:

"NO CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE - NO KNOWN ERRORS FOUND"

Thanks again,
    Richard.

• Edited by Richard Koett Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:06 PM Updating information.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 5:42 PM
  • Hi

I have the same issue but have nothing to delete in Keyboard layouts as suggested by Christian.

I do have a faultykeyboard log with the following  DLL's:

kbd101.dll
    kbd101a.dll

I am unable to find these anywhere on the OS and when when exporting the Keyboards Layouts from the registry the dll's above are not in there?

Can anyone help?

Chris

0.266: 2012/05/17 22:00:12.000 (local)
    0.266: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\3438087687b5dd8accc81e44f72f02e7\update\update.exe (version 6.3.13.0)
    0.282: DoInstallation: GetProcAddress(InitializeCustomizationDLL) Returned: 0x7f
    0.282: Failed To Enable SE_SHUTDOWN_PRIVILEGE
    0.282: Hotfix started with following command line: -q -z -er /ParentInfo:36cec3467708f440b3864828b3288029
    0.282: In Function GetReleaseSet, line 1211, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2
    0.282: In Function GetReleaseSet, line 1240, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2
    1.047: Return Value From IsMachineSafe = 0
    1.047: IsMachineSafe returned 441092
    1.047: Fist Condition in Prereq.IsMachineSafe.Section Failed
    1.047: Condition Check for Line 1 of PreRequisite returned FALSE
    1.063: ReadStringFromInf: UpdSpGetLineText failed: 0xe0000102
    1.063: KB2686509 Setup encountered an error:  Setup cannot continue because one or more prerequisites required to install KB2686509 failed. For More details check the Log File c:\windows\KB2686509.log
    1.063: ReadStringFromInf: UpdSpGetLineText failed: 0xe0000102
    1.063: Setup cannot continue because one or more prerequisites required to install KB2686509 failed. For More details check the Log File c:\windows\KB2686509.log
    1.063: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf0f4

Friday, May 18, 2012 10:55 AM
  • "NO CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE - NO KNOWN ERRORS FOUND"

For those who retrieves this message before May 19th and KB2686509 still doesn't install. I made some changes to the script:

1. Entries in key HKLM\SYS\CCS\Ctrl\Keyboard Layout must not exists, only subkeys

The script deletes every entry (i.e. Scancode Map or 'IgnoreRemoteKeyboardLayout'). Please reregister the backup-file.

2. If there is a kbdxxx.dll registered in a subkey under HKLM\SYS\CCS\Ctrl\Keyboard Layouts and this file has no version information, the update crashes. So additional to file exists I proof the versioning and just in case delete the registry key.

Further informations can be found under http://www.vivus.net/dl/readme.txt

Saturday, May 19, 2012 6:16 PM
  • Thank you Christian for the help. I have correctly installed the KB2686509 update!

Sunday, May 20, 2012 12:09 PM
  • Thank you Christian for the help. I have correctly installed the KB2686509 update!

Can't say that I have had that pleasure, yet.

It would be nice if Microsoft just fixed the problem instead of expecting the user community to do it for them.  C'mon Bill, spend a little of your millions on those of us who made you so rich.

If anyone else has a fix for this problem that REALLY WORKS and doesn't require a degree in advanced doublespeak, please let me know.

Russbechtold

Sunday, May 27, 2012 7:09 PM
  • What you see is what you are going to get.  Bill doesn't work for Microsoft.  Call into 1-800-Microsoft ask for a support incident as it's a security patch.

Did you upgrade from Windows 98?  Did you disable a key on your keyboard?

Did you look at those three links posted above?  Do you have a log file called faultykeyboard.log and if so, what's in it?

We need to know what nuance you are hitting before we can help.

Sunday, May 27, 2012 7:37 PM
  • Amazing man, you saved my life.. :)

Thank you for your post.

Sunday, June 10, 2012 5:41 PM
  • In my case, this problem is yet to be resolved. I've had Microsoft technicians work remotely on the affected computer, and I've had a case open with Microsoft since 15/05/2012. The latest response I received was on 31/05/2012 stating:

"I was going through this case and I thought of updating you that I had checked with our seniors on the progress of the fix for the issue. They stated that they have already involved the development team and are closely working with them towards getting a fix ready, however there is no estimated time they can provide by when that will be ready. We have the ticket still open and as soon as we have an update from the seniors we will cascade it to you. I sincerely apologize the inconvenience cause and we appreciate all your patience on this one".

In other words, there are cases that are not covered by the solutions described above, and no fix is yet available for such cases.

:(

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Thanks. After quite of bit of tinkering with my keyboards and with the registry myself to no avail, your little patch made a wonder! After many months of desperate attempts, the KB is now installed! :-)

--DS

Friday, October 12, 2012 3:45 PM
  • Hi Richard (and anyone else here!!),I run the WSUS server at a school of only around 700 computers. Some Win 7, some XPSP3.

ALL of the Win XP computers would not install this update.

As mentioned below, this was to do with a keyboard mapping problem...I.E. some keys disabled, such as the Windows Key.

I eventually found that removing the registry entry for the mapping, installing the update and then putting the reg back worked.

I have included here a .bat file script which will install the KB for you (assuming you fix the file paths within it of course :)

First script:

@echo off
    cls
    echo.
    echo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    echo !!! DO NOT CLOSE THIS WINDOW !!!
    echo.
    :declaration
    set KeyPath=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout
    set RegFile1=%SystemRoot%\%COMPUTERNAME%-HKLM_KBLayout
    set RegFile2=%RegFile1%s.reg
    set RegFile1=%RegFile1%.reg
    :save1
    if exist "%RegFile1%" goto save2
    regedit /e "%RegFile1%" "%KeyPath%"
    if exist "%RegFile1%" goto save2
    if exist "./missing.reg" goto errBackup
    echo Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 >.\missing.reg
    echo. >>.\missing.reg
    echo [%KeyPath%] >>.\missing.reg
    regedit /S ".\missing.reg"
    goto save1
    :save2
    if exist "./missing.reg" del /q .\missing.reg
    if exist "%RegFile2%" goto createDel
    regedit /e "%RegFile2%" "%KeyPath%s"
    if exist "%RegFile2%" goto createDel
    if exist "./missing.reg" goto errBackup
    echo Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 >.\missing.reg
    echo. >>.\missing.reg
    echo [%KeyPath%s] >>.\missing.reg
    regedit /S ".\missing.reg"
    goto save2
    :createDel
    if exist "./missing.reg" del /q .\missing.reg
    echo Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 >.\delreg.reg
    echo. >>.\delreg.reg
    echo [-%KeyPath%] >>.\delreg.reg
    echo. >>.\delreg.reg
    echo [-%KeyPath%s] >>.\delreg.reg
    echo. >>.\delreg.reg
    echo [%KeyPath%] >>.\delreg.reg
    echo. >>.\delreg.reg
    echo [%KeyPath%s] >>.\delreg.reg
    echo. >>.\delreg.reg
    :deleteRegKeyPaths
    regedit /S ".\delreg.reg"
    del .\delreg.reg >nul
    :waitOnUserForKB2686509
    echo %KeyPath%
    echo    was saved to %RegFile1% and cleaned
    echo.
    echo %KeyPath%s
    echo    was saved to %RegFile2% and cleaned
    echo.
    echo Update is installing, please wait...
    rem This is where you need to change the file path to 
    rem pick up the other bat file to install the KB
    start /wait "" "\\4423-DC03\msi\WSUS\install.exe" /quiet /passive /norestart
    :reRegKeyPaths
    regedit /s "%RegFile1%"
    regedit /s "%RegFile2%"
    :GoodBye
    echo.
    echo %KeyPath% restored
    echo %KeyPath%s restored
    echo.
    echo !!!  REBOOT YOUR SYSTEM NOW  !!!
    :cleanUp
    set RegFile2=
    set RegFile1=
    set KeyPath=
    pause
    shutdown -r -t 60 -c "Rebooting following Windows Update Manual Installation. Save any work left open now!" -f

I downloaded the KB file from: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29804 and called it "install.exe", and it uses the following commands for silent install: "

/quiet /passive /norestart

The changes I made to it force the PC to reboot after install (I chose norestart before because the script needs to put the reg keys back in before anything else). Once it has restarted, WSUS should pick it up as being installed.

Hope this helps, and makes sense!!!! :)

I want to say I did NOT create this script in the first place, but I have modified it to make it my own and do what I like it to do. Origin:

Hotfix batch for KB2686509 - V. 1.24
    (C)2012 Christian Schumm, Moers - Germany
    http://www.vivus.net/dl/

Regards,

Phil Smith-Keitley

• Proposed as answer by Phil_Tec Monday, December 17, 2012 4:26 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Hi

I have the same issue but have nothing to delete in Keyboard layouts as suggested by Christian.

I do have a faultykeyboard log with the following  DLL's:

kbd101.dll
    kbd101a.dll

I am unable to find these anywhere on the OS and when when exporting the Keyboards Layouts from the registry the dll's above are not in there?

Can anyone help?

I had the same issue, and describe how I solved it here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/unable-to-install-kb2686509-fauktykeyboardlog/1b3b601a-966a-47b3-b196-9615cbc40d2e
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 10:59 PM