Resolution option appears and then disappears RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I choose to change the resolution, the menu just "pops back up". All drivers are installed correctly and Windows 7 SP1 Enterprise has been installed. A video of the error is here http://youtu.be/zxfhUzXvEio.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Allan Kjaer (blog)
    Microsoft MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCTS Configure Exchange 2010, MCITP Server Administrator 2008
    Check Point CCSA, CCSE
    Cisco CCENT, CCNA
    IT Service Management ITIL Foundation Version 2011

Monday, August 19, 2013 1:15 PM

All replies

• Just as a workaround so far, did you try using the keyboard (Tab and ENTER) to open them up?

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

I published the URL's for the icons in my signature.

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

Need any links for images like CodeBlock? Go here.

Monday, August 19, 2013 1:24 PM
  • Just as a workaround so far, did you try using the keyboard (Tab and ENTER) to open them up?

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

Hi Livio,

I can access the options from other places in Windows, but the users need to access this menu and complains about the error.

Regards.

Regards,
    Allan Kjaer (blog)
    Microsoft MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCTS Configure Exchange 2010, MCITP Server Administrator 2008
    Check Point CCSA, CCSE
    Cisco CCENT, CCNA

Monday, August 19, 2013 1:29 PM
  • Hi,

From your description, It seems to be a driver issue, update your video drivers at the manufacturers website to the latest drivers.

Sometimes this issue can be caused by a corrupted user profile, I recommend you to test with  a new user profile.

Detail steps about how to create a user profile, please refer to the following article:

Fix a corrupted user profile

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Regards,

Yolanda

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:54 AM
  • Hi,

From your description, It seems to be a driver issue, update your video drivers at the manufacturers website to the latest drivers.

Sometimes this issue can be caused by a corrupted user profile, I recommend you to test with  a new user profile.

Detail steps about how to create a user profile, please refer to the following article:

Fix a corrupted user profile

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Regards,

Yolanda

Hi Yolanda,

I already tried using different users (both domain and workgroup users) and the issue is the same. Also newest drivers from NVIDIA are installed.

Regards,
    Allan Kjaer (blog)
    Check Point CCSA, CCSE
    Cisco CCENT, CCNA

• Edited by Allan Kjaer Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:41 AM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:41 AM
  • Hi Allan,

I would like to know whether you installed some third party software or made some special settings before this issue occurred?

Check if this issue occurs in clean boot environment and safe mode orderly.

If it disappears in these environment, then we can continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Detail steps about clean boot and further check, please refer to the following KB:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If still occurs, I recommend you to perform a system restore.

System Restore (Applies to Windows 7)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/system-restore

Regards,

Yolanda

• Edited by Yolanda Zhu Friday, August 23, 2013 12:30 AM
    Friday, August 23, 2013 12:30 AM
  • Hi Allan,

I would like to know whether you installed some third party software or made some special settings before this issue occurred?

Check if this issue occurs in clean boot environment and safe mode orderly.

If it disappears in these environment, then we can continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Detail steps about clean boot and further check, please refer to the following KB:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If still occurs, I recommend you to perform a system restore.

System Restore (Applies to Windows 7)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/system-restore

Regards,

Yolanda

Hi Yolanda,

Actually I have made a completely clean install by using a DVD with Windows 7 SP1. Immediately after install I tried to select another resolution and the problem persists.

Regards,
    Allan Kjaer (blog)
    Check Point CCSA, CCSE
    Cisco CCENT, CCNA

Friday, August 23, 2013 6:04 AM

Hi Livio,

I can access the options from other places in Windows, but the users need to access this menu and complains about the error.

Regards.

Regards,
    Allan Kjaer (blog)
    Check Point CCSA, CCSE
    Cisco CCENT, CCNA

Maybe we misunderstood eachother.

When you try to open the drop-down menu by clicking on it, it immediatly closes itself how I can see, though it's still highlighted. Instead of clicking with your mouse, you can also hit Enter on your keyboard to open the drop-down menu. With the Tab key, you can switch between the buttons on your window. Does it work by hitting enter, or does it also close itself again?

Friday, August 23, 2013 6:36 AM

Hi Livio,

Regards.

Regards,
    Allan Kjaer (blog)
    Check Point CCSA, CCSE
    Cisco CCENT, CCNA

Maybe we misunderstood eachother.

When you try to open the drop-down menu by clicking on it, it immediatly closes itself how I can see, though it's still highlighted. Instead of clicking with your mouse, you can also hit Enter on your keyboard to open the drop-down menu. With the Tab key, you can switch between the buttons on your window. Does it work by hitting enter, or does it also close itself again?

Hi,

If I try to select something with the TAB - or just press ENTER, after trying the menu, the whole window just closes.

Regards,
    Allan Kjaer (blog)
    Check Point CCSA, CCSE
    Cisco CCENT, CCNA

Friday, August 23, 2013 6:46 AM
  • O_o

Somehow this looks like some failed skript running or something. It even looks like some sort of virus for me. That's really strange...

Friday, August 23, 2013 8:06 AM
  • Yes, it's really, really strange. I've never seen anything like this before, and the computer is almost useless.

Regards,
    Allan Kjaer (blog)
    Check Point CCSA, CCSE
    Cisco CCENT, CCNA

Friday, August 23, 2013 8:08 AM