none
Server 2019 Essentials user licensing limitation RRS feed

• Question

• I have an environment where Windows 2019 Essentials is the domain controller.  There are 9 user accounts in the environment.  The SILSVC logs state that there are 43 user accounts in the AD and that licensing is in violation.  This status causes the Essentials DC to shutdown once every 7 days.

Investigation has shown that the variation between the 9 user accounts and the 43 reported is accounts created for services attached to applications in the environment.  With Essentials 2016 there was a way to not include accounts created for services from the licensing count by hiding them from the GUI management application using set-wssuserdashboardvisibility.

With Windows server 2019 Essentials is there a way to not include accounts created for services in the count of users toward the 25 user account limit?
    Friday, June 7, 2019 2:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check below PS cmdlets.

1. Launch Windows PowerShell with Administrative privileges. Run the following command:

Get-WssUser | FL DisplayName,IsShowInUI

2. Make a note of the user accounts which have IsShowInUI parameter set as True.

3. Run the following command to make the user account hidden in the Dashboard:

Set-WssUserDashboardVisibility -Name <UserName> -Hidden

Note, change parameter from -Hidden to -Visible makes the user account showing on Dashboard.

Below is the test screenshot on my WSE vm:

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 10, 2019 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang     

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 2:31 AM
  • This is 2019 Essentials and there is no Dashboard or Essentials Role, so your answer is not valid. How its even possible to track user license breaches in 2019 Essentials without having the surprise of a shutdown server?
    • Edited by ghostliveid Wednesday, June 12, 2019 12:50 PM
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 12:49 PM
  • Hi,

@ ghostliveid
    Thank you for your information, I had misunderstand the OS version as it is WSE 2016 forum, my suggestion in above reply is working on WSE 2016 and previous OS version.

As far as I know, Windows Server 2019 Essentials will have the same characteristics as the 2016 version that small business look for:
    Single license that includes Client Access Licenses (CAL) for up to 25 users/50 devices.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 2:58 AM
  • No, its completely different. It counts all accounts which were created since installation. This includes also any extra Admin or Serviceaccounts. Anything with WSS is not present on 2019 due to missing Dashboard.

It shuts down after 1 week with eventid 38 and 73 (under Server Infrastructure Licensing) and id 1074 (under System)

This is totally unacceptable.

Thursday, October 3, 2019 7:16 AM