none
DPM 2012 volumes grow question RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

We configured DPM 2012 with many different jobs running.

One of them is client protection ( over 40 client) with two folder to protect on each client.

These folder size change from one client to another ( from 0k to over 80 Gb )

Therefore I have been trying to us automatically volumes grow option to maximize disk space and I have started the configuration with 10Gb protection.

Since the first moment all client jobs that   have over 10 Gb data on the folder wont work (inconsistency check forever).

If we have to allocate the size of the biggest client to all jobs I will definitely expose the space management on the san.

Is there a way to make this option working ? (volumes grow ) or to work around without the need of using a huge amount of space directly...

I must say I'm starting to be disappointed with the 2012. Still the same bugs from 2010( grow , clean tape auto, etc... few option included just for decoration.... and the basic status view totally not functional.....  (on 47 jobs 30 are not working at all and the all status are green ....  not even a warning..) . ( and still waiting to an answer on the last post about the MMC crash as we are not able any more to use management tab to check the tape and disk )

As usual many thanks for your answers. and good luck!

Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you use co-location and file type exclusion for your clients protection ?

=> Co-location enables you to store data more efficiently on a DPM server.

=> File type exclusion will allow you to prevent your user to backup useless data.

For 40 clients protection (0K to Max 80 Go data/user), you need visibly between 1 To / 3,2 To in space allocated.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:52 AM
  • Dear Stephane,

Thank you for your feedback.

Yes we use co-location, yes we have excluded Music and video file format.

The manager of the company have many document and link in the protected folder and there is no way how modifying the protection policy (he's the boss)..

As long as we don't provide the disk space corresponding to biggest client protected, the jobs wont finish checking consistency check (missed space in log).

the SAN is 5 To.

Many thanks again.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 12:13 PM