Changing the Default Language via Script RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All

What I wish to accomplish here sounds fairly simple, but I'm struggling to find any answers for this.

I need to be able to create a script or GPO, which changes the default language of the Operating System (Windows 7) - Including the Welcome Screen.

Right now it defaults to en-US, and the user can then select the language in control panel.
    But what I need is for the default language to be de-DE, and then the user has the option to change to English if required.

I've found some GPO setting that forces the language of the system to German, but then the option to change the language is greyed out, and the user cannot change it.

I've tried messing with some registry values, but there are language entries in a lot of places, I tried a bunch of them, but they did not take effect.

The change of default language needs to be at the system level, so that the welcome screen is also in that language.

The OS in use is Windows 7 Enterprise SP1.

The machines will have the language packs installed.

I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure out this simple task, but I just can't seem to find anything. 
    Ultimately, it's just changing the default value from en-US to de-DE. 

How this is accomplished (registry hacks or GPO) I don't mind, provided that it requires no user input on the machine. (We push scripts via Dell Kace)

Thanks all

Monday, September 7, 2015 9:27 AM

Answers

• You can change language or region setting by script in windows here is the full process you can check or edit in script. Its idle for windows 7 user hope it will be work for you.

http://superuser.com/questions/353752/windows-7-change-region-and-language-settings-using-a-script

• Marked as answer by sledgehammer__ Friday, September 11, 2015 5:56 AM
    Monday, September 7, 2015 9:57 AM

All replies

• Hi sledgehammer,

Thank you for your question.

By my understanding, if we force use de-DE, some computers which don’t want to use de-DE could not be included in GPO. Because if user change language, PC will be restarted, GPO will re-work on this computer if it has been restarted.

If there are any questions regarding this issue, please be free to let me know.

Best Regard,

Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Friday, September 11, 2015 5:45 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by sledgehammer__ Friday, September 11, 2015 5:56 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 5:41 AM
  • That is correct.

However we have managed to work around this.

We've created a few different scripted installations for Windows while using the same captured image.

In the unattended XML, we've set each script to be either German, Polish or English (as required) and when we go to image the machines, we can select which version we need to install.

From there, the user will have the default language, but also have the option to change without any changes to the GPO

Friday, September 11, 2015 5:58 AM