none
Word hangs after first sentence is typed or during first spell check using Turkish input language and Turkish Proofing Tools 2007 in Word or Outlook 2007 RRS feed

• Question

Here's my setup:

• Dell Optiplex 980 (Intel i7, 4GB ram, 300+GB HDD)
    • Windows 7 x64 Professional wSP1
    • Office 2007 wSP2
    • Office Proofing Tools 2007 wSP2 (Turkish and English languages installed)

Steps to create issue:

Open Word

Create or add >1000 entries to the Custom.dic, or add an existing file with >1000 entries.

Create or open a document

Set the language to Turkish either using the Set Language function or by selecting the Turkish input language using the Language Bar

If spell check or grammar check while you type is enabled:

• Type a full sentence.
    • When you start to type the next sentence Word will hang for a few seconds.  If you increase the amount of custom dictionary entries to >5000 (8614 in my case) and try again in a new session of Word, the wait incraeses to over two minutes.

If spell check or grammar check while you type is disabled:

• Run a spell check (F7) and Word should hang and go into a Not Responding state for a second to several minutes depending on the amount of custom dictionary entries.

All of the computers in my organization run add-ins for DMS, numbering, contact management, metadata management and a few others.  I've also been able to reproduce this on computers using only standard Windows 7 and Office 2007 installs without any of the third party products installed. 

The issue only seems to go away when the collective custom dictionary entry count is <1000 (I tried splitting my 8000+ entry .dic into smaller 1000 entry chunks.  That didn't help).

After the initial wait, I'm able to type and spell check without a problem until I close Word and start over.  Opening or creating new documents within the same session seems to work fine.

Is Word performing a merge between the custom and main dictionaries in memory when this happens?  Why is this behavior triggered with the Turkish language?  Depending on the office, I have other languages deployed for the proofing tools.  I haven't received any reports about freezing from them.  How can I fix this?  Our users cannot live without that custom dictionary which we update regularly.

We just opened this office and the users are anxious to have this working properly.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tesfaye

• Edited by Tesfaye_SI Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:25 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Tesfaye,

Thank you for your question. My name is Ross and I am a Support Engineer for Microsoft Word. I have performed research on your question and our developement team is aware of this issue. Unfortunately I do not currently have a resolution. As of right now, the only suggestion I can offer is to keep your CUSTOM.dic file to a smaller number of entries to where the issue does not occur.

Thank you,

Ross

Microsoft Word Support

Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:21 PM

All replies

• Just wanted to add that I tested this today using Office 2010 with SP1 and Office Proofing Tools 2010.  The behavior was exactly the same as the machines running the Office 2007 products.  I even tried setting the dictionaries to other languages but that didn't help either. 

Help?  Pretty please?  :)

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:24 PM
  • Hello

Thank you for your post.

This is a quick note to let you know that we are performing research on this issue.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards, 

William Zhou

Forum Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:32 AM
  • Hi William,

Any updates on this issue?  Were you able to reproduce the behavior i noted in my original post?

Thanks,

Tesfaye

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:28 PM
  • Hi Tesfaye,

Thank you for your question. My name is Ross and I am a Support Engineer for Microsoft Word. I have performed research on your question and our developement team is aware of this issue. Unfortunately I do not currently have a resolution. As of right now, the only suggestion I can offer is to keep your CUSTOM.dic file to a smaller number of entries to where the issue does not occur.

Thank you,

Ross

Microsoft Word Support

Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Thank you, Ross.  We decided to omit our custom dictionary file (it wasn't names Custom.dic) entirely until a fix is found. 

Thanks,

Tesfaye

Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:25 PM