none
MS Project Professional 2010 Master Project Schedule Resource Allocation View -- HELP RRS feed

• Question

• I have MS Project Server 2010 and MS Project Professional 2010 64-bit with all the latest SPs and CUs installed.  I have 50 projects utilizing a pool of 140 Enterprise Resources.  I create a temporary Master Project Schedule so I can view all my resources across all projects.

I need a view that seems impossible to find:  A gantt view of Projects grouped by Resource Name.   I would like the table portion to have the following columns:  Resource name, Project Name, Work, Duration, Start, Finish, Max Units, Project Priority.  I would like the timeline to show me the last month and the next two months, with a line indicating "today".  I ONLY want to see the summary for each resource on a per project basis, not each individual task.  I need the timeline bar to show when a resource is overallocated by going red.  This is for management to get a quick view on what projects the resources are working on, and where they are at.  I don't need to see every task in every project, just a summary of resource per project.

I have tried the following reports and none of them give me what I need -- starting with the most promising:

• MS Project Server PWA Resource Allocation Gantt
      -- Does not allow me to "print" the timeline, only the tabular data -- if I could print that WITH the timeline, this would resolve my issues
      -- Does not allow me to indentify overallocated by colour in the timeline, but I can live with that, as I can put that into a column
    • MS Project Pro Team Planner View using a temporary Master Project Schedule
      -- Does not allow me to add any additional columns (project name, max units, etc.)
      -- Does not allow me to summarize tasks on a per resource per project basis
      -- Does not allow me to display the name of the project in or next to the "bar", so I can identify the project without running my mouse over the bar.  This is fine when viewing online, but I need a printer PDF version.   I can have the task name displayed, but many of the projects use the same task names, so it's confusing, and they also do not necessarily display in the current window.  The only way to see many of them is to scroll, or to change the timeline.  If the bar is too small (the timeline is zoomed way out), the text is cut off and not displayed at all.
      MS Project Pro Resource Allocation view (Resource Usage with Leveling Gantt) using temporary Master Project Schedule
      -- Does not allow me to identify overallocated by colour in the Leveling Gantt timeline, but I can live with that, as I can add it as a column
      -- The Leveling Gantt view does not allow me to group on resource and then project, even though I have done it in the Resource Usage view above
      -- The Leveling Gantt does not allow me to split out resources when one task has multiple resources assigned, even though it does in the Resource Usage view above
      -- The Leveling Gantt does not allow me to summarize tasks on a per-project basis, even though I have done it in the Resource Usage view above

Basically what I am looking for is the Resource Usage view with a gantt timeline next to it, rather than the tabular format.  Does such a view exist?

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• Trish,

I don't do server so I'm not familiar with any server unique reports but I can answer your basic question. Neither combination view (i.e. Resource and Task), has a Gantt timeline feature. Both of those views are designed exclusively to show timescaled data (i.e. no graphics).

I suggest one of the existing views that gets you closest to what you want and then deal with the shortcomings separately, which is probably what you are already doing.

One more thought, there are a multitude of third party companion products for Project. It's possible one or more of those might provide something you can use. See, http://project.mvps.org/comprods.htm.

John

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:11 PM
  • Trish,

I don't do server so I'm not familiar with any server unique reports but I can answer your basic question. Neither combination view (i.e. Resource and Task), has a Gantt timeline feature. Both of those views are designed exclusively to show timescaled data (i.e. no graphics).

I suggest one of the existing views that gets you closest to what you want and then deal with the shortcomings separately, which is probably what you are already doing.

One more thought, there are a multitude of third party companion products for Project. It's possible one or more of those might provide something you can use. See, http://project.mvps.org/comprods.htm.

John

I actually have visited the link previously and could not find any suitable solutions.  However, I will keep looking.  I am also going to see if I can use SharePoint to design my own report, but not sure it will allow me to do what I want.  Project Web App (PWA) Resource Allocation Gantt view is the closest solution, and if it would actually print the timelines my issues would all be resolved.  It's very frustrating that it will not print the timeline portion of the report.  I will keep poking around and see what I can do.
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:34 PM
  • Hi Trish,

You might like to try posting on the project server forum selected from here: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm#Find_a_Forum

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP (97-11)
    See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 2:58 PM