none
Problem: Windows did not start sucessfully. A recent hardware change might have caused this. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This screen appears EVERYTIME the pc boots:

I have encountered this on a few computers and cant seem to solve the problem without TOTALLY disabling 'windows disk protection' restarting and later reenabling it again. (this takes a mighty long time Sad)

Please advise.

Thanks.
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 1:53 PM

Answers

•  

Hi, does the issue resolve after disabling WDP? Does it re-occur after re-enabling it? Based on my research, the issue should be resolved after disabling and re-enabling WDP though it may take more time to complete it. We are also searching for another method to resolve it in a timely manner. Thank you.

Monday, April 28, 2008 8:30 AM

All replies

• Does anyone know? Sad

I guess its stuck like that because of Steadystate's windows disk protection....

Saturday, April 26, 2008 11:00 AM
  •  

Hi, does the issue resolve after disabling WDP? Does it re-occur after re-enabling it? Based on my research, the issue should be resolved after disabling and re-enabling WDP though it may take more time to complete it. We are also searching for another method to resolve it in a timely manner. Thank you.

Monday, April 28, 2008 8:30 AM
  • Yes, i have to disable WDP, restart, then reenable WDP.

However the ONE PC that is currently having the problem now i believe was one of those that happened previously before too, where i disabled and reenabled WDP, it worked until now.

But That really takes WAY too long Sad

I tot there would be a registry entry or something that i can modify to prevent it from happening.
    Monday, April 28, 2008 10:21 AM
  • Hi,

Did anyone find a solution Sad

The problem still exists Sad
    Monday, May 12, 2008 9:25 AM
  •  

As Windows Disk Protection (WDP) is very sensitive to the hard drive problem. I recommend running the chkdsk command without parameter(Please first disable WDP). It will provide a report of the current status of the hard drive.

-------------------

1. Click Start and then Run.

2. Type in cmd and press Enter.

3. Type in chkdsk and press Enter.

Please check if there is error or bad block on the hard drive.

Please also check if there is a cache file (Cache.WDP) under drive C: As the cache file was hidden by default, we need to show the hidden files with the following steps:

-------------------

1. Click Start, then click Control Panel, and then click Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, click "Show hidden files and folders."

3. Clear the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" check box.

4. Clear the "Hide extensions for known file type" check box. Click OK.

If Cache.WDP exists, we can manually delete it with the following steps:

-------------------

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.

4. Delete the Cache.WDP file under drive C. Restart the computer.

5. Start SteadyState, “Cache File Is Corrupted” windows will appear.

6. Select “Uninstall Windows Disk Protection and delete the corrupted cache file” and click OK.

Then, let's check if the issue occurs.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 2:29 AM
  • I was getting this screen as well.  I would boot up, get this screen, select safe mode, then reboot and it would boot up fine. 

Today though, I discovered I was having some internet problems as well, so I decided to do a system restore.  I logged in to my administrative account and disabled Steady State then went about a system restore to a few weeks ago (I've been using Steady State for at least 6 months now).

As the computer was going through a reboot in the system restore process it made it as far as the welcome/login screen and that where it's stayed.  There are no user accounts and if I try to be sneaky and login using the old ctrl+alt+del method, it tells me all my user accounts have been disabled, even the admin account. 

So here I sit with a computer I can't login to........

Any suggestions for that?

Friday, June 13, 2008 11:22 PM
  • Hi,

If you're using SteadyState 2.0, WDP has known incompatibilities with system restore; you should not use system restore in this scenario.  Given the state your system is in, I would guess you're using 2.0.

To get out of the situation you're currently in, boot into safe mode and log in as the built-in "Administrator" account, then use the SCTUI to disable WDP. 

If you're using 2.5, system restore works in most scenarios.  Where you will run into very, very serious trouble is if you attempt to use system restore to revert to a point in time before WDP was installed, and WDP is currently set to "retain changes temporarily" (persist mode). 

Thanks,
    Rob

Saturday, June 14, 2008 7:06 AM
  • Guess I should have stated this differently....I already had WDP disabled.

I tried safe mode and I am still not able to log in as anyone, including the built-in admin account.

Any other suggestions?

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:27 PM