none
Group Master and Subprojects in Project Center Gantt View (Project Online or PWA) RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way in Project Center in Project Online to either

• Make the the master and subprojects the same color

or

• Group The Master and subproject together

This is very useful when you have multiple Master and subprojects and you want to tell which projects belong together on the gantt chart in the Project Center View.

Thanks,

Ross

----------------------------

Friday, April 8, 2016 1:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Ross,

Usually, we use a project custom field with a lookup table containing the list of master projects, something like "program" to put together the subprojects. Once done, you can easily use this custom field to group the subprojects with the master project together in the project center.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

• Marked as answer by PinkFloyd72 Thursday, February 23, 2017 11:27 PM
    Friday, April 8, 2016 6:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Ross,

Usually, we use a project custom field with a lookup table containing the list of master projects, something like "program" to put together the subprojects. Once done, you can easily use this custom field to group the subprojects with the master project together in the project center.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

• Marked as answer by PinkFloyd72 Thursday, February 23, 2017 11:27 PM
    Friday, April 8, 2016 6:46 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

I am currently dealing with the issue Ross described and I like your solution, but unfortunately it's not optimal for one task I have at hand. First I'd like to add that I'm new to Project and maybe I'm just missing basic steps. I'm just looking for a solution and I welcome any advice you or anyone can provide on this matter. 

That aside, here's what I'd like to accomplish: when you open a project you can see all the tasks with the sub-tasks indented to as many levels as you may have, they look like this:

Task1

L__Subtask1

L____Sub Subtask1

L____Sub Subtask2

L______Sub Sub Subtask1

and so on. What I'd like to accomplish is to have this same view BUT with my projects. I'm able to edit the projects in Project Professional and create master projects with as many sub-projects as I want, but this is worthless if I can't find a way of easily displaying this relationship on the Project Center View in PWA.

Your solution would work great if I only had a few projects, but imagine this hierarchy:

Industry: Education, Government, Hospitality, Churches, and so on

Customers: Company1, Company2, and so on

Sites: Site1, Site2, and so on

Jobs: Job1, Job2 and so on.

If I use custom fields with lookup tables I would have to create a lookup table to include all my industries, another for all my customers, another for all my sites, etc and I don't even know that this will solve what I need to accomplish. 

My point is, why can't my projects be listed using the hierarchy they're built with? Like:

Education

L__Customer1

L____Site1

L______Job1

L______Job2

L____Site2

L______Job1

L__Customer2

Goverment

L__Customer1

etc. I would have assumed this was the default view to list my projects in PWA, but instead it just shows all the projects regardless of the Project's hierarchy. Again, maybe there's a simple solution that I overlooked and for that I apologize. I appreciate any help with this matter.

Thanks,

Leo.

• Edited by itadmins1 Friday, May 27, 2016 2:35 PM
    Friday, May 27, 2016 2:32 PM
  • Hi again,

it just occurred to me that maybe I'm complicating the logic inside my projects. What I actually need is to create a view that shows the hierarchy I explained above without editing the actual projects. So far I've created empty Enterprise Projects so that I could have the Site they create and then create sub-sites by creating other Enterprise Projects and making them sub-projects by using Project Professional. The truth is, the only Projects I need to create are the "Jobs" shown on my hierarchy above, the other sites I need are just to show such hierarchy. Let me explain:

I want to create the enterprise projects Job1 and Job2, which will belong to Site1 which belongs to Customer 1 who belongs to Education. And I'd like to create a view on Project Center that shows:

Education

L__Customer1

L____Site1

L______Job1

L______Job2

Keeping in mind this list will grow enormously, are there any suggestions you would give me to help with this?

Thanks,

Leo.

• Edited by itadmins1 Friday, May 27, 2016 9:20 PM
    Friday, May 27, 2016 3:17 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

what you describe only works in Project Center View not on the Gantt chart, right?

----------------------------

Thursday, June 9, 2016 4:22 PM
  • What do you mean by gannt chart ? A gantt chart is à visualisation you can see in different views (right part) such as the project center vies. 

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Thursday, June 9, 2016 4:58 PM