Sites and Services RODC Replication RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a minor issue that's been puzzling me and would appreciate if anyone could explain why this is happening?

Our environment:

DC1 / Server 2012 R2 Standard / Writable Domain Controller / Has all FSMO Roles / Location: Australia

DC2 / Server 2012 R2 Standard / Writable Domain Controller / Location: Australia

DC3 / Server 2012 R2 Standard / Writable Domain Controller / Location: Australia

DC4 / Server 2012 R2 Standard / Writable Domain Controller / Location: UK

DC5 / Server 2012 R2 Standard / RODC / Location: New Zealand

When the New Zealand RODC was setup I specifically selected DC1 in the setup wizard to get its AD information from.

The RODC setup completed successfully.

However I noticed in Sites and Services > DC5 New Zealand > NTDS Settings > RODC Connection (SYSVOL) its replicating from DC4 UK

I want the RODC to specifically replicate from DC1 Australia

I manually changed it so it would replicate from server DC1 Australia but after a few hours it automatically changed back to DC4 UK.

Can any one explain why is this happening?

Thank you

Monday, August 22, 2016 4:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you checked out your site link topology?

What transports (IP, I expect) is the New Zealand site (which I'm assuming has been defined with its own subnets) a member of?

The bottom line is if there's any site links defined where the UK and New Zealand are members then there's the opportunity for New Zealand to negotiate directly with and therefore decide to create inbound replication links with the UK.

Of course, there's other reasons too.

One such reason my be that automatic site bridging is still enabled in the forest and there's a problem communicating with the Australian domain controller.

Another might be that automatic site bridging has been disabled but a site link bridge has been created, which New Zealand could fail back over to using if there's connectivity issues with Australia.

If you can tell us how the site links are defined, it'd be a good starting point.

Cheers,
    Lain

• Proposed as answer by Wendy Jiang Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Wendy Jiang Tuesday, August 30, 2016 9:06 AM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 6:08 AM
  • Hi,
    Great view from Lain, you could firstly take a look based on his suggestions.
    In addition, you could have a try to reestablishing replication for an RODC manually according to the following article and see if it works:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd736126(v=ws.10).aspx#BKMK_ManualCOs
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 2:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you checked out your site link topology?

What transports (IP, I expect) is the New Zealand site (which I'm assuming has been defined with its own subnets) a member of?

The bottom line is if there's any site links defined where the UK and New Zealand are members then there's the opportunity for New Zealand to negotiate directly with and therefore decide to create inbound replication links with the UK.

Of course, there's other reasons too.

One such reason my be that automatic site bridging is still enabled in the forest and there's a problem communicating with the Australian domain controller.

Another might be that automatic site bridging has been disabled but a site link bridge has been created, which New Zealand could fail back over to using if there's connectivity issues with Australia.

If you can tell us how the site links are defined, it'd be a good starting point.

Cheers,
    Lain

Monday, August 22, 2016 6:08 AM
  • Hi,
    Great view from Lain, you could firstly take a look based on his suggestions.
    In addition, you could have a try to reestablishing replication for an RODC manually according to the following article and see if it works:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd736126(v=ws.10).aspx#BKMK_ManualCOs
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 2:57 AM