none
When will Outlook 2016 desktop support focused inbox?

Question

• Running Outlook 2016 (Desktop/Windows) - Office Insider Fast (version 1705 as of this posting), Office 365 E3.

Focused inbox is enabled for our organization and I am testing it out. There have been mentions and screenshots posted online for settings for it in Outlook 2016 desktop in the View tab (here, for example), but I'm not seeing any such settings. 

1) Can anyone confirm whether they have focused inbox available on Outlook 2016 desktop?

2) If so, is there something special that needs to be done to enable it that I'm unaware of? Like I said, it's already enabled for my Office 365 tenant and is turned on for various users.

Thanks for any info!
    Bob

Friday, April 21, 2017 2:46 PM

Answers

• Do you have Modern Authentication for Exchange enabled for your tenant?

Get-OrganizationConfig | ft name, *OAuth*

If not, you can enable it via;
    Set-OrganizationConfig -OAuth2ClientProfileEnabled:$true

You don't actually have to enable Multi-Factor Authentication itself, just the Modern Authentication.

Within a couple of minutes, Focused Inbox should become available or otherwise after restarting Outlook.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

• Marked as answer by Bob Manjoney Saturday, April 22, 2017 12:41 PM
    Saturday, April 22, 2017 7:36 AM

All replies

• It's working for me and I also have the option available in the "All" dropdown list above the Message List.

Note that not all users always get all the options at once in Insider builds. The feature could be enabled for some while not available for others. 2 weeks ago, I got the feature while others that had it for quite some time already lost it and a few days later it was gone again for me as well but returned for others. This is normal for Insider builds as after all, you are a test user now ;-)

Also, whether or not the capability is available to you is obtained via URLs published in Autodiscover. You may want to recheck whether that still works as expected for your email domain, reset the local Autodiscover cache or recreate your Mail Profile. (for troubleshooting purposes)

Friday, April 21, 2017 4:17 PM
  • Thanks Robert, but I have none of those options, and I have never seen them as of yet (believe me, I've been looking/chomping at the bit), and I fully understand the caveats and nature of receiving Insider builds. I specifically moved to the fast ring to receive this particular feature. If I view O365 on the web app, focused inbox is functioning, so it is definitely enabled.

Per your suggestion, I double-checked that all zone records for the domain in question are correct and present  (including the autodiscover record), and I recreating the mail profile in a test environment, all to no avail.

Bob

Friday, April 21, 2017 9:10 PM
  • I know you said you have O365 E3, but...wondering if you are running Office2016ProfessionalPlus(MSI) or Office365ProPlus(2016)(C2R) ?

The MSI form of Office, always lags behind C2R releases, from a new features perspective...

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Friday, April 21, 2017 11:26 PM
  • I am running Office 365 ProPlus Click-to-Run (C2R) version 1705 (Build 8105.1000)
    Saturday, April 22, 2017 1:26 AM
  • Do you have Modern Authentication for Exchange enabled for your tenant?

Get-OrganizationConfig | ft name, *OAuth*

If not, you can enable it via;
    Set-OrganizationConfig -OAuth2ClientProfileEnabled:$true

You don't actually have to enable Multi-Factor Authentication itself, just the Modern Authentication.

Within a couple of minutes, Focused Inbox should become available or otherwise after restarting Outlook.

• Marked as answer by Bob Manjoney Saturday, April 22, 2017 12:41 PM
    Saturday, April 22, 2017 7:36 AM
  • Thank you, Robert. We were not using Modern Authentication on this tenant, but once I enabled it for Exchange as you suggested, Focused Inbox features lit up in Outlook 2016 desktop. I never would have figured that one out myself, so I appreciate your help.

Just curious, where is this pre-requisite documented?

Again, thanks for your help!
    Bob

Saturday, April 22, 2017 12:40 PM
  • Thank you Robert your solution worked for me! I had been pulling my hair out trying to work out why my web outlook 2016 had Focused Inbox but not my desktop. Microsoft make it so hard for us. First work out how to invoke the multi-factor authentication powershell, then sign in and enter a command line applet. Average user does not stand a chance.
    Thursday, June 29, 2017 5:46 AM
  • We are running modern auth...what actual version of Outlook supports this?  We are on v1701 build .2099
    Thursday, August 31, 2017 4:33 PM