none
Newbe Question, searching on managed metadata heirarchy terms RRS feed

• Question

• I have managed metadata stored in a heirarchy in the form: Set 1:Level A: Level B. I use this in a site column for a document library.  I have checked the display entire path to the term in the field.  I see info in this forum about how to display result sets of level A, and levels A & B, but what I'm not clear on is can you simply search on Level A.  I'm not able to do this currently.  IS there anything you can do with FAST that will allow searching on Level A?    Thanks in advance

Is the entire hierarchy stored with the doc, or just Level B?
    • Edited by JJaudon Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To clarify, is level B child of level A? And you want to list only those explicitly defined in Level A without any child levels?

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson 

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/WCF4/ASP.Net4
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 11:44 AM
  • Thanks for the response. Level B is a child.  All docs will have a level B. I want to take advantage of the heirarchy so it will help quide the users in what choice to make as well as allow me to define 1 field instead of 2, but I want both levels to be searchable. So, they may ask for in the search box a certain value for A, where it would need to return all those values that where B fell underneath A in my tree or a certain value for B.

Thanks

Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:23 PM
  • Hi, I'm wondering if this is out of the norm?  It seems like a logical way to use these heirarchical terms to me, but I just can't find anything on it.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:46 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

When checking "include entire path" you should be able to search for "level a" and get results tagged with "level b" as well. But this is not working for you? I did a test just now with a simple list in the Info Worker Image, adding geo locations from the term store. I added "Norway" to my column and a search for "Europe" returned the item.

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson 

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/WCF4/ASP.Net4
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:28 PM
  • Yes, I can finally say it is working for me.  Our Sharepoint environment was not setup completely with search.  It has taken quite some time, but you have helped me to piece this together and now it is working just as you suggest.

Thanks for your help!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:07 PM