Outlook 2016 cannot open delegate user calendar but can in Outlook 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• As the title suggests, we have an issue with delegate calendars and Outlook 2016.

Scenario:

User A and User B exist in a cross forest Exchange environment.

Both users have been migrated to the same domain and both have 'Linked' mailboxes.

User A and User B are both granted Delegate access to each others calendars with 'Editor' rights.

When using Outlook 2016 client (16.0.4266.1001), User A can view User B calendar but not modify any entries.

When using Outlook 2013 (15.0.4903.1000), User A can view and modify entries on User B calendar.

This is the same scenario for User B when using the different clients as shown above.

When i try to replicate the issue by granting myself 'Delegate' access to each of the calendars, i am faced with the same issues when using the different Outlook clients.

Since myself and each user can access the calendar when using Outlook 2013, im sure that there isnt an issue with cross domain permissions and organization sharing policies.  It seems to be with the Outlook client for 2016.

Has anyone experienced this issue before?

Anyone have a fix for it?

Your help is appreciated.

Angelo

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 11:11 PM

Answers

• This ended up being due to a required Security Update for Outlook 2013.

Outlook 2010 Required Update:  KB 4022205

Outlook 2013 Required Update:  KB 4022169

Outlook 2016 Required Update:  KB 3115093

Friday, July 27, 2018 4:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Angelo,

Does this issue happen to all Outlook 2016 clients?

Are there any error messages when you try to edit entries in shared calendar?

We could first try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter.

I’ve noticed that updates are available for Outlook 2016. Please install the newest updates to see if there are any improvements. A link for your reference.

Regarding issues with shared calendar, we have an official link here. It mentioned that you will be able to edit the calendar about four hours after accepting the invitation. Please check the details to see if this is the case for you.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, June 28, 2018 2:37 AM
  • Does this issue happen to all Outlook 2016 clients?  It is happening to both Outlook 2016 and Outlook 2013 clients

Are there any error messages when you try to edit entries in shared calendar?
    Yes.  When i double click on an existing entry, i get "You do not have permission to view this calendar.  Do you want to ask xxxxx to share his calendar?"

When i try to create a new entry, i get "You dont have permission to create an entry in this folder.  Check permissions"

Also, when i try to expand the users mailbox, after being granted Full Access, i get error "the set of folders cannot be opened.  network problems are preventing connection to microsoft exchange"

My user account also has Editor access directly on the Calendar folder. I have also tried granting Owner but to no avail.

NOTES:

I created a new Outlook Group Policy object and applied it to my account only.

I modify the Autodiscover lookup types to disallow 'SCP lookup' and apply it to my logon account.

I then login and open Outlook and access the calendar without issue.

If i then reapply the existing GPO to my account and open the failing calendar, i can now access it successfully.

It seems that the issue is with SCP & Autodiscover.

If i delete the outlook profile, along with the autodiscover.xml files and recreate a new profile using the existing GPO, i and then unable to open the calendar again.

Any ideas?

Thursday, June 28, 2018 6:51 AM
  • i have also tried to install the latest update and it states that it is already installed on my system.
    Thursday, June 28, 2018 6:53 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

Please test on OWA to see if you could edit shared calendar entries. This could help us determine whether it lies in server side or client side.

>>It seems that the issue is with SCP & Autodiscover.

To determine if the Autodiscover service is configured properly, we could use the Test E-mail AutoConfiguration tool in Outlook. To do this, please check the steps below:

1. While Outlook is running, press and hold down the CTRL key, and then right-click the Outlook icon in the system tray or notification area on the lower-right corner of the screen.

2. From the menu, select Test E-mail AutoConfiguration.

3. Enter your email address and password.

4. Clear the Use Guessmart and Secure Guessmart Authentication check boxes.

5. Ensure that the Use Autodiscover check box is selected.

6. Click test.

The result tab shows that Autodiscover is detected. We can also click the Log tab to check the following lines:

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, July 2, 2018 1:30 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, July 2, 2018 1:32 AM
    Friday, June 29, 2018 7:37 AM
  • Hi Perry,

I can confirm that the calendar can be accessed and modified in OWA.

After running the 'Test Autodiscover', i can see that it is correctly connecting to the https://autodiscover.siteA.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml site.

The problem, is that when the hosting mailbox connects to this site, it cannot successfully access the additional mailbox.

If i force it to point to https://autodiscover.siteB.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml site, it will successfully connect. I do this by excluding 'SCP lookup' using a GPO.

Im having trouble understanding why it will not work when using siteA as this is now the primary site where the user mailbox is being hosted and mail routed to and from.

Regards,

Monday, July 2, 2018 1:23 AM
  • Hi,

As here we mainly focus on issues regarding Outlook client, I’m not so familiar with Autodiscover.

According to my research, we may experience unexpected results if you are using one or more of the available registry values that can be used to control Autodiscover. Refer to the following link.

Unexpected Autodiscover behavior when you have registry settings under the \Autodiscover key

In your case, you may disallow 'SCP lookup' in your environment.

Regards,

Perry

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, July 6, 2018 8:05 AM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2018 1:43 AM
  • This ended up being due to a required Security Update for Outlook 2013.

Outlook 2010 Required Update:  KB 4022205

Outlook 2013 Required Update:  KB 4022169

Outlook 2016 Required Update:  KB 3115093

Friday, July 27, 2018 4:07 AM