none
How to move full OS bitlocker partition to larger hard drive?

Question

• Dear Microsoft Win7 Experts,

I have a fresh Windows 7 Enterprise image on my laptop's 100 GB hard drive. There is only one C: partition with OS+ stuff and it is Bitlocker encrypted.

Now the hardrive is almost full. I want to do following:

1. Buy and install a new 320GB hard drive
    2. Copy the full Win7 100GB hard disk image into the hard drive (using Gparted)
    3. Extend the 100GB image to entire 320GB to use it
    4. Done. No reinstalling everything is needed.

Is this possible? We have Finnish on-site support from HCL "India's leading IT and technology company". They say that the above plan is impossible because of Bitlocker and that Win7 reinstall is absolutely needed.

Is this correct that I must reinstall everything when moving to larger hard drive?

-M

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 8:23 AM

Answers

• Just throwing an idea out there, but why don't you disable bitlocker and then use a cloning utility (could also use imagex if you wanted, really doesn't matter) to clone the data onto another disk. Once you've booted into Windows again from the new HDD re-enable bitlocker.

I assume that you have full admin rights on the pc in question.

Please keep in mind that disabling bitlocker on the old disk, and applying it onto the new disk might take a while (several hours)

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz.

If you one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer". If a post contained helpfull information, please be so kind to click on the "Vote as helpful" button :)
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Tuesday, March 8, 2011 1:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:10 AM
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 8:42 AM
  • hi,

agree with Stephan...

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/01532e7a-9d27-425e-b183-20c533cb9196/

regards,

Mumin CICEK | www.cozumpark.com
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 8:55 AM

All replies

• Just throwing an idea out there, but why don't you disable bitlocker and then use a cloning utility (could also use imagex if you wanted, really doesn't matter) to clone the data onto another disk. Once you've booted into Windows again from the new HDD re-enable bitlocker.

I assume that you have full admin rights on the pc in question.

Please keep in mind that disabling bitlocker on the old disk, and applying it onto the new disk might take a while (several hours)

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz.

If you one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer". If a post contained helpfull information, please be so kind to click on the "Vote as helpful" button :)
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 8:42 AM
  • hi,

agree with Stephan...

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/01532e7a-9d27-425e-b183-20c533cb9196/

regards,

Mumin CICEK | www.cozumpark.com
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 8:55 AM
  • no matter which partition manager you take, you should also disable bitlocker at first, or the operation will faild.
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 1:46 AM
  • Since this is one of the articles I found using Google, I hope my experience will help others.

I have a Dell mobile precision M6800 running Windows 8.1 Pro. It shipped with a 500 GB hard drive.

Work was kind enough to later buy me a Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB mSATA drive.

I had already setup Bitlocker and had it running with TPM + PIN for bootup, UEFI only with Secure Boot (All the paranoid options basically.)

I was able to clone the disk successfully by doing the following:

1. Suspend Protections on the source disk.

2. Use Clonezilla (Alternate AMD64 image) installing onto USB via TuxBoot. (Supports UEFI boot.)

3. Do a device to device copy, letting Clonezilla pick options for me. (Took about 1.5 hours to clone.) Not sure if just luck or Clonezilla being smart, but the partitions all lined up on 4096 boundaries.

4. Either remove the source disk now and delete the partition table, set it aside for emergencies, or reboot into clonezilla and use parted to wipe the partition table.

5. Boot from the SDD and enjoy. (I installed Samsung's magician software at this point ad tweaked the settings.)

What I had to do:

4. Here is where I had issues: Leaving both source and target in the pc will make the source still boot. (In the M6800, the first hard drive is SATA 0 and mSATA is SATA 1.

5. Had I just wiped out the source I would have been fine, but no such luck. I tried online-ing the disk is disk managment but that just broke its booting, and had to use the Dell backup and recovery USB stick to get the SSD booting again (Windows repair did not work.)

End ruesults: bootup is about twice as fast (not nearly as instant as I would like), but application load times are almost non-existent now.

• Edited by usmc4o66 Tuesday, October 21, 2014 5:53 AM spelling
    • Proposed as answer by usmc4o66 Tuesday, October 21, 2014 5:53 AM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 5:52 AM
  • Just saw this on another post elsewhere.  Casper Secure Drive 4.2 is a software package that will clone a bitlocker or PGP (Opal 2.0) encrypted drive while you're still working in windows AND while bitolocker is still active and locked!  The resulting cloned drive will also be encrypted!  Every other package I've looked at, including Symantec, Acronic, Easus, Macrium, etc all will require that when you're in windows, you have to disable (not decrypt) bitlocker and then the resulting clone will be unencrypted...and you then need to encrypt it.  Casper Secure Drive will clone and preserve the bitlocker security.  Apparently this has been tested and works in the trial version, but you need the full version which costs over 100 dollars to do resizing with the clone.

With all the discussion on cloning bitlocker and PGP encrypted drives, it seems bizarre that this software package isn't mentioned.  I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Friday, September 29, 2017 2:33 PM