Problem with "Sign in as Different user" in Sharepoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I got back "sign in as" feature in 2013 because it was totally missing.

When I add this to Welcome.aspx, save and back to sharepoint I see that option back as in Sharepoint 2010.
    Unfortunatelly when I am logged as Windows user and click it ("sign in as Different user") I am not redirected to login page.

Scenario looks like that:

1. I have enabled Windows and Forms Authentication (FBA).
    2. When I am logged as Windows User I have user display name as "0#.w|win-ami8230045|Administrator" with prefix as You see because forms claims are enabled.
    3. When I click "Sign In As Different User" I am redirected but not to login page but it looks that I am still in the Sharepoint Portal with display name but this time it looks like "win-ami8230045|Administrator". As You see without prefix name!
    4. So this missing option works really strange!

5. /_layouts/closeConnection.aspx?loginasanotheruser=true it doesn't work when FBA is enabled.

Please help if anybody find it.

• Edited by CaMeL023 Sunday, December 30, 2012 12:14 PM
    Sunday, December 30, 2012 11:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Sign in as a different user is fundamentally broken, which is why it was removed.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/stefan_gossner/archive/2012/01/19/be-careful-when-using-the-quot-sign-in-as-different-user-quot-feature-in-sharepoint.aspx

I would suggest not using it, and instead using private browsing mode.

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Sunday, December 30, 2012 5:51 PM
  • If it is a 2010 feature, then you should be able to customize it the same way as you could in 2010.  What made sign in as a different user "fundamentally broken" as described before was it did not clear cookies.  This caused problems for custom web parts,  Office Integration and anything else in SharePoint that relied on cookies.  To get around this, you can first create a custom sign out page that forces cookies to clear and then set it as your sign out page.  Information to write a custom sign out page for SharePoint is readily available on the web.  Then place it on the layouts folder (same location as the current sign out page) and run the following replacing <CustomSignOutPageName> with the sign out page name and Webapplication Name with the Web Application URL: Set-SPCustomLayoutsPage -identity "Signout" -RelativePath "/_layouts/<CustomSignOutPageName>.aspx " –WebApplication “Webapplication Name”

The drawback to this is you have to close the browser to completely delete the cookies, so it isn't optimal as stated before.  And if you utilize SSO, the currently signed in user will be logged back in.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:32 PM