none
Windows 10 Pro Apps not working says "Windows can't open this file . . " like Calculator, Sticky etc RRS feed

• Question

• PCs which contain windows 10 Pro connected with domain server 2019. Most of the windows "Apps" affected not working it says "windows can't open this file". I try the following steps it working for sometime then affected the sames apps again.

1. Disconnect the PC from domain, run wsreset.exe to restore the Store, run Get-AppXPpackage . . ., chkdsk /f, sfc/scannow and disable the windows firewall, it working fine. Connect the PC back with server domain work for sometime and then happen again,

My question is - Do you have any recommendation, but I think it cause of any specific group policy to affect these windows 10 apps. Please help me if someone know specific group policy for windows 10 Apps or any other idea.

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:26 PM

All replies

• Make sure that Windows Update service is running, startup type is Automatic.

Run Store app troubleshooter.

In fact, I feel confused about the error message you mentioned, could you please give us a screenshot or complete description. Because “windows can't open this file” is usually the following situation.

For policies configurations, under the path:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Store

If we configured some policies here then app or store will show: the store app is blocked rather than windows can't open this file.

Refer to the following article for more information, note security policies configuration:

Fix This app can’t open in Windows 10

https://troubleshooter.xyz/wiki/fix-this-app-cant-open-in-windows-10/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 2:17 AM
  • Here is the attached screenshot. I did most of the common troubleshooting it not help. When I click on some apps like calculator, Sticky note, mail . . . it giving this error or some not opening when click on the apps.

Error "This app can't open" Check windows store for more info about this app.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 4:28 PM
  • Unfortunately, still cannot see your screenshot...

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 7:54 AM
  • Check the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\StateChange\PackageList

If there are any sub-keys then delete them.

Reboot and try your apps again.

If it fixes your apps, then you may need to implement a script to regularly clean out the PackageList registry key such as at shutdown.

You can check out these two articles also for troubleshooting:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4341045/applications-don-t-start-and-their-names-are-dimmed-in-windows-10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/2798317/microsoft-store-apps-fail-to-start-if-default-registry-or-file-permiss

Friday, September 20, 2019 2:36 PM