Can't select partition on CompletePC backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm running Vista Business (non-SP1) and I'm trying to do an image backup, but the behavior of the backup app seems to have changed. I'm using a 32GB USB drive to do a full image backup of my system (CSmile partition, which is 20GB. I've done this frequently in the past, usually before installing any updates/service packs. However, the behavior of the app seems to have changed. I select 'complete PC' backup in the control panel, which then brings up a window that allows me to select my backup device, which I do, then click 'Next'. In the past at this point I've been prompted to select which partition(s) to backup, and I selected my 'C:' partition, but when I just tried to do the same thing it skipped the screen that allows me to select the partition(s) and instead took me to the final screen, which indicates that both of my partitions (C: & DSmile will be backed up. I use a company backup server to backup my data files, so I don't need to do both, and my USB drive isn't big enough for both.

How can I get back the 'select partitions to backup' screen so I can just do an image backup of my 'C:' partition?

Thanx.

John

Sunday, September 14, 2008 7:08 PM

Answers

•  John McDonald wrote:

Ronnie,

Thanx for the reply. Yes, the word 'System' does show up next to both partitions. I haven't moved any user folders to the D: drive, but I recently installed MS Visual Studio 2008 onto it, since my OEM-created C: partition was too small.

Is there any way to bypass the automatic selection of both partitions by CompletePC Backup? I have a number of other non-critical apps also installed on D:, so I'm not as worried about restoring it in the event of an emergency. I have another USB drive that I use to boot into WRE, and I'd like to be able to quickly restore just my C: partition if something happened. I travel a lot and this capability has saved my butt a number of times.

Thanx again.

John

John

I have been researching for a way to bypass or disable that automatic 'system' check, but I came up empty, so far?

There is a command line tool for for the Complete PC Backup  ( wbadmin.exe ) that looked promising, but it also does not provide a way to designate certain partitions?

If I am able to find something, I'll post back to this thread.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, September 15, 2008 6:32 PM

All replies

• Hi John

Have you moved any of the user folders or files to the D drive?

This is the only scenario that I have seen where both drives are automatically selected. Do you see the word "System" behind both the C and D drives?

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, September 15, 2008 12:01 AM
  • Ronnie,

Thanx for the reply. Yes, the word 'System' does show up next to both partitions. I haven't moved any user folders to the D: drive, but I recently installed MS Visual Studio 2008 onto it, since my OEM-created C: partition was too small.

Is there any way to bypass the automatic selection of both partitions by CompletePC Backup? I have a number of other non-critical apps also installed on D:, so I'm not as worried about restoring it in the event of an emergency. I have another USB drive that I use to boot into WRE, and I'd like to be able to quickly restore just my C: partition if something happened. I travel a lot and this capability has saved my butt a number of times.

Thanx again.

John

Monday, September 15, 2008 11:31 AM
  •  John McDonald wrote:

Ronnie,

Thanx again.

John

John

I have been researching for a way to bypass or disable that automatic 'system' check, but I came up empty, so far?

There is a command line tool for for the Complete PC Backup  ( wbadmin.exe ) that looked promising, but it also does not provide a way to designate certain partitions?

If I am able to find something, I'll post back to this thread.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, September 15, 2008 6:32 PM