none
Slipstreaming SQL 2012 with SP2 already and now I want SP3

Question

• Hi,

I have an existing SQL 2012 installation package with SP2 bundled, now I need to go up to SP3. The installation is being done using configuration files to maintain consistency. I changed a few things as follows.

Setup.exe /ConfigurationFile=C:\TEMP\SQL_2012_SP3_STD\ConfigurationFile.ini /SQLSVCPASSWORD=xxxxxx /AGTSVCPASSWORD=xxxxxxxx /SAPWD=xxxxxxxx /ISSVCPASSWORD=xxxxxx

And then within the configuration file, i changed the line below

UpdateSource="C:\TEMP\SQL_2012_SP3_STD\SQL\SP3"

The installation completed fine, however I noticed that it still came with SP2, so had to manually install SP3.

Do I have to get a fresh SQL 2012 installation package and do a slipstream or is it possible to actually still use an existing slipstream package with SP2 ?

Below is a screenshot of the SQL 2012 SP2 that is already slipstreamed.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:32 AM

All replies

• Do you have  /UpdateEnabled=TRUE in config file?

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/ramjaddu

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:57 AM
  • Yes its set to true.
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 12:36 PM
  • What is inside C:\TEMP\SQL_2012_SP3_STD\SQL\SP3? Is it the compressed SQL Server 2012 SP3 package?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:08 PM
  • .. and what do you see in Summary.txt for the parameter which you have defined?

Balmukund Lakhani
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter | Facebook
    Author: SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn - Paperback, Kindle

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:14 PM
  • What is inside C:\TEMP\SQL_2012_SP3_STD\SQL\SP3? Is it the compressed SQL Server 2012 SP3 package?

This is the extracted SP3 folder, its not a single file but extracted files/folder.
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:13 AM
  • Can you please share setup logs?

Balmukund Lakhani
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter | Facebook
    Author: SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn - Paperback, Kindle

Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:47 PM
  • That's the problem. When you use the UpdateSource argument it should point to a directory that contains one or more compressed patch packages, which can be a mix of service packs, CUs, or GDRs. When setup examines the directory it will pick the most applicable packages to slipstream.

Prior to SQL Server 2012 we had arguments PCUSOURCE and CUSOURCE. You can still use those arguments (as do the official slipstream packages), though those arguments have the requirement of pointing to a directories containing the uncompressed patch packages.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:54 PM
  • Thanks for pointing this out, if I do not want to use the UpdateSource method, how can I bundle the files together to have a file package that also has SP3 bundled with it ?

Thanks.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:37 PM
  • Two options:

1. Replace UPDATESOURCE with PCUSOURCE in your config file.

2. Replace the contents of the PCUSOURCE directory in your SP2 media with the contents of the uncompressed SP3 media. This assumes you have a DefaultSetup.ini in the x64 or x86 directory that contains PCUSOURCE.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:30 PM
  • Two options:

1. Replace UPDATESOURCE with PCUSOURCE in your config file.

2. Replace the contents of the PCUSOURCE directory in your SP2 media with the contents of the uncompressed SP3 media. This assumes you have a DefaultSetup.ini in the x64 or x86 directory that contains PCUSOURCE.

Hi.

With Option 1

Does anything else need to change ? How will the config file know where to pick the SP details from ?

With Option 2

When I replace the contents of the  PCUSOURCE  folder with a single executable file, I then  open the x64 folder where I found Defaultsetup.ini, within the file has the following contents.

;SQL Server 2012 Configuration File
    [OPTIONS]
    PCUSOURCE=".\PCUSOURCE"

I think I prefer option 2, unless I am missing something from Option 1.

Thanks.

Friday, April 21, 2017 2:07 PM
  • With option #1, nothing else needs to change. The argument PCUSOURCE tells setup to look in the path provided for the expanded service pack contents. Just as with the slipstream media you downloaded originally, the path provided for PCUSOURCE must contain the expanded service pack, not the single EXE.

With option #2 you wouldn't replace the contents with the single executable, instead you would need to first delete what's inside the existing PCUSOURCE directory then extract the contents of the service pack executable into the PCUSOURCE directory.

Alternatively you could create a new directory called something like UPDATES, set the UPDATESOURCE argument to the path containing the UPDATES folder, and add\remove patch package EXEs whenever you want to move to newer patches. You actually don't need to remove anything either, as Setup will inspect each compressed patch package and determine which one(s) to install. You can have a mix of service packs, CUs or GDRs and Setup will choose the highest service pack and the highest versioned CU or GDR that it finds and slipstream them into your installation.

Friday, April 21, 2017 2:20 PM
  • Thanks. 

I will give it a try.

Friday, April 21, 2017 3:43 PM