none
Warning message that there were changes since the last publish RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Project Server 2010 and Project Professional 2010 and have a question about publish.

I generally edit files in Project Professional but sometimes forget to publish the changes. When closing the MS Project file,  there is a is a warning to save cahnges but no warning message that changes have been made since the last publish. What is the reason?

Monday, October 15, 2012 7:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

When you are editing a plan and closing it, project asks if you want to save changes, there can't be any message saying edits are made after last publish, application is designed capture updates by giving users option to save change (rather then Alert that changes are made). Having 2 messages at a time -one asking for Save and other Alerting for changes is not a viable option.Application keeps all your updates in Cache while you are in edit mode, so anytime you try to exit, it questions you about Save/Discard Changes.

Sapna Shukla

Monday, October 15, 2012 9:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When you are editing a plan and closing it, project asks if you want to save changes, there can't be any message saying edits are made after last publish, application is designed capture updates by giving users option to save change (rather then Alert that changes are made). Having 2 messages at a time -one asking for Save and other Alerting for changes is not a viable option.Application keeps all your updates in Cache while you are in edit mode, so anytime you try to exit, it questions you about Save/Discard Changes.

Sapna Shukla

Monday, October 15, 2012 9:04 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I am suggesting that when I close a project, a third option should be added the the 'save changes' section of the pop up.

It currently offers "save" or "discard changes" and the third option could be "save and publish".

Monday, October 15, 2012 9:44 AM
  • :) Ok got your point. So, I would say even if you do save your project remains in Cache of the Client, so anytime when you publish this plan entire Cached items are published on the Server.

Sapna Shukla

Monday, October 15, 2012 12:32 PM
  • The challenge is that numerous people are working on the file and I think that data is getting lost. That is why it work be good to have a 'publish' reminder.
    Monday, October 15, 2012 3:16 PM
  • As of now the feature is not part of tool and this is more of a training need, to make users Publish their plans after save to update the data on server.

Sapna Shukla

Monday, October 15, 2012 3:53 PM
  • Hi, Ness. There's an obvious danger in having multiple people working on a project without some process for each to know who's changing what and when. I'd be surprised if changes are getting lost because of this - whenever you open a project (Read/Write) in Project Professional you are opening the draft or working version which would be the same version that the previous editor would have saved.

There is one feature that may help - when opening a project from cache you may get a message saying that the version on the server is more recent than the one in your cache. In that case you would open the version from the server, rather than the one from cache.

Graham

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:56 AM
  • Yes you are correct.

I still think it may be an idea for them to include an option when saving the file that says "Save and publish".

Sunday, October 21, 2012 12:40 PM