Bluetooth Device Driver Lost RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

The bluetooth device on my computer has disappeared from my device manager.  I wouldn't have noticed because my bluetooth keyboard and mouse were working ok until the last 2 days.  Suddenly, my computer freezes completely (wont respond to ctrl alt delete) and my keyboard is dead.  In other variations of the problem.  My keyboard is dead but my mouse will still work. 

I checked the bluetooth devices controller and nothing shows up.  It won't find new BT devices.  That's when I looked in device manager and the whole bluetooth reference was gone.  Not in the system tray either.

I tried to reinstall hardware and nothing was located.  Have restarted many times.  When I restart, I get  my keyboard and mouse for a while but within an hour the whole thing hangs again.

I am desperate to fix this; this is my work computer.

the only thing recent was plugging in an external hard drive for backups.  My blue tooth device is internal.

The computer is a Dell Dimension DXP061, Vista Ultimate, Intel 2, 1.86 Ghz.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 6:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

If everything worked before, a quick solution is to restore the system back to the previous status when the issue didn’t occur with System Restore. (Note: Performing a system restore may cause the loss of the current system settings; therefore, before doing this, please make sure that the system restore point is not too old and set a restore point for the current status.)

Since the Bluetooth device has disappeared from Device Manager, I suspect this should be a hardware issue. At time, please try the following to narrow down the issue:

1.    Please remove the device driver from “Control Panel – Programs and Features”, reboot the computer and see if the device will appear. If it still won’t appear, please try to install the driver for the Bluetooth device again and check the results.

2.    Boot the system to clean boot environment and have a check.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If the device still cannot work, please also remove and reinstall the driver in clean boot and see how it works.

In addition, I would like to share the following document with you:

Troubleshoot problems with Bluetooth enabled devices

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/11a74104-645d-40d4-b933-bde5d15537bb1033.mspx

Considering that this may be a hardware issue, it is recommended that you contact DELL for technical support.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope the issue will be resolved soon. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, May 11, 2009 10:41 AM