none
Scheduling in DPM 2010 (exclusions) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm using DPM 2010 to backup Exchange 2007 & File servers howevr I'd like to do something different with the schedules (for both but for now I'll ask the question here).

I like the idea and wish to retain the fact that DPM synchronises my data in 15 minute intervals and creates specified recovery points at the times requested, however:

I would like to have the option so that DPM synchronises my data every 15 minutes except during certain hours when it doesn't run at all and simply resyncs after that window has passed.

Is this possible?

Why do I want to do this?

Well I have experienced in the past (and suspect I have again) issues where if you have two systems performing a backup of a server (VSS Snapshot) and the time windows conflict that I lose data that has been submitted during this time

Thanks

Mark

Friday, August 20, 2010 2:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Mark,

DPM does not have granular scheduling to exclude certain hours of a day, only entoire days.  However, you can disable the agent on the DPM server for the hours you want to skip backups and it will not be able to communicate with the PS.  With that said, it's not a good idea for two backup applications to run against exchange as that will truncate logs and cause continuity errors next time DPM tries to synch.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 4:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

DPM does not have granular scheduling to exclude certain hours of a day, only entoire days.  However, you can disable the agent on the DPM server for the hours you want to skip backups and it will not be able to communicate with the PS.  With that said, it's not a good idea for two backup applications to run against exchange as that will truncate logs and cause continuity errors next time DPM tries to synch.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 4:40 AM
  • Thanks Mike,

That's an interesting way around the issue and I suppose one that I'll have to go ahead with to make sure the issues don't co-exist.

Only horrible part of this is that it will create alerts in DPM and hence email people saying that DPM failed then was ok, would be tidier to have in a central place (though at least this way I can run as a pre-backup script in my other tool).

With respect to the Exchange backup, it's a copy based backup so won't truncate logs and threfore shouldn't cause the issue you mentioned above, but I will confirm this once that functionality has been added to the product.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 10:55 PM
  • To make things tidier (potentially remove alerts, cancel sync requiring consistency checks etc.) is it possible at the client end to determine if a DPM backup, sync etc. is currently taking place so it doesn't stop the service midway through the sync process, or is their a script I can run to query what the dpm server thinks it is doing?

On the script note, is there a way to cancel the next backup?

Sunday, August 22, 2010 10:58 PM