Copy Queue length is high RRS feed

• Question

• I added a second site cross wan and added mbx to current dag. The DAG has 3 mbx servers, 2 servers at site1 and 1 server at site2. Now I see the some DBs Copy Queue length is high. Strange thing is some DBs have thousands, while a few others have 0.

How can this be? If I run a full backup on the DAG, will it trancate log before the logs is copied over to across the WAN to other server? Thanks.

Monday, August 28, 2017 11:52 PM

Answers

• If total daily emails size is 5GB, roughly how much log will it generate? I enables Circular logging for all databases. Will this be a problem for cross WAN DAG replication?
    No, but that doesn't remove the requirements for the log files to be sent over and processed by the remote database copies You really should review your WAN Utilization and look into increasing bandwidth between sites. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

• Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Friday, September 1, 2017 10:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by AlanG2015 Friday, September 1, 2017 4:43 PM
    Thursday, August 31, 2017 12:11 AM

All replies

• You mean you added a mailbox server to the DAG?

If the copy queue is backed up, it's likely because your network has insufficient capacity, too high latency, or to many errors.

No, running a backup will not truncate the logs that haven't yet been copied over to the other site.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 8:38 PM
  • How do I know for sure it is because of network latency? what is standard requirement for the WAN speed?
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 10:44 PM
  • The standard requirement is enough bandwidth to allow all the transaction log files to copy.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 2:41 AM
  • If total daily emails size is 5GB, roughly how much log will it generate? I enables Circular logging for all databases. Will this be a problem for cross WAN DAG replication?
    Wednesday, August 30, 2017 11:13 PM
    No, but that doesn't remove the requirements for the log files to be sent over and processed by the remote database copies You really should review your WAN Utilization and look into increasing bandwidth between sites. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

• Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Friday, September 1, 2017 10:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by AlanG2015 Friday, September 1, 2017 4:43 PM
    Thursday, August 31, 2017 12:11 AM