IsReplyAllTheDefaultResponse $false not working on Exchange 2016 on-premises RRS feed

• Question

• We are running Exchange Server 2016 on-premises, and like other cases on the internet our users report they would like the 'Reply' option to be the default on their Outlook on the web app (OWA 2016) instead of 'Reply to All'.

I have looked in other forums, and they all present the following Powershell command as the solution:

(for every user)

Get-Mailbox -RecipientTypeDetails UserMailbox  -ResultSize Unlimited | Set-MailboxMessageConfiguration -IsReplyAllTheDefaultResponse $false

(for a single user)

Set-MailboxMessageConfiguration -Identity **user name** -IsReplyAllTheDefaultResponse $false

HOWEVER: these commands do not work in our Exchange 2016 on-premises solution. I'm assuming this because of our on-premises environment? I'm guessing these commands only work on Office 365?

I'm getting the following prompt when I try the commands posted above:

A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'IsReplyAllTheDefaultResponse'.
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Set-MailboxMessageConfiguration], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Set-MailboxMessageConfiguration
        + PSComputerName        : **our host**

So it misses the parameter. Do we need to update or switch it on somewhere?

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 11:10 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Base on my test, this parameter is available in Exchange 2016 CU1. Please update to CU1 and test again.

For Exchange 2016 RTM, you can manually modify this setting in OWA  instead of EMS with global setting:
    1. Login OWA, click Setting icon to open Options.
    2. Mail->Automatic processing-> Reply settings, and choose No.

Figure as below:

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Allen_WangJF Sunday, May 8, 2016 11:46 AM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 8:16 AM

All replies

• Can you tab complete it? If you enter -isre and then tab, does the command then complete?

If so, then you know its one of two things: You dont have necessary permissions or its not avail. 

I assume you have the necessary perms ( Org Admin to prove that)

Blog:    Twitter:   

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 11:50 AM
  • Can you tab complete it? If you enter -isre and then tab, does the command then complete?

If so, then you know its one of two things: You dont have necessary permissions or its not avail. 

No, I'm not able to tab it. I'm running the Exchange Management Shell as Administrator.

However, I can tab other parameters for the Set-MailboxMessageConfiguration, like DefaultFormat, DefaultFontColor, ConversationSortOrder, AlwaysShowFrom etc. etc.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 12:38 PM

No, I'm not able to tab it. I'm running the Exchange Management Shell as Administrator.

However, I can tab other parameters for the Set-MailboxMessageConfiguration, like DefaultFormat, DefaultFontColor, ConversationSortOrder, AlwaysShowFrom etc. etc.

So that means its not avail in 2016 or in the current CU.

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Wednesday, April 27, 2016 7:56 AM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 12:51 PM
  • I used the following command to see which parameters I can use:

(Get-Command -Name Set-MailboxMessageConfiguration).Parameters

And as expected, I'm not seeing the -IsReplyAllTheDefaultResponse in the list. The one million dollar question is: how can I use this parameter on our Exchange on-premises environment or is there an alternative to change the 'Reply to all' function for all users?

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 12:51 PM
  • I used the following command to see which parameters I can use:

(Get-Command -Name Set-MailboxMessageConfiguration).Parameters

And as expected, I'm not seeing the -IsReplyAllTheDefaultResponse in the list. The one million dollar question is: how can I use this parameter on our Exchange on-premises environment or is there an alternative to change the 'Reply to all' function for all users?

I dont think you can for on-prem at this point.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 2:52 PM
  • Hi,

Base on my test, this parameter is available in Exchange 2016 CU1. Please update to CU1 and test again.

For Exchange 2016 RTM, you can manually modify this setting in OWA  instead of EMS with global setting:
    1. Login OWA, click Setting icon to open Options.
    2. Mail->Automatic processing-> Reply settings, and choose No.

Figure as below:

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang

• Marked as answer by Allen_WangJF Sunday, May 8, 2016 11:46 AM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 8:16 AM
  • That PowerShell command works for existing mailboxes.  Is there a way to make "Reply" the default option when setting up new mailboxes?  I can't imagine any workplace would want "Reply All" as the default.
    Friday, August 26, 2016 4:40 PM
  • Hi,

Do you want to modify this setting for user once it created?

If so, you need create a script and run it with schedule or use a cmdlet extension agent to detect when mailbox is created and automatically to modify this attribute. More details about Exchange Scripting Agent, for your reference:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/rmilne/2014/06/24/exchange-scripting-agent-the-power-of-script/

Since this thread is too old, I recommend create a new thread with your own question for further assistance.

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, August 27, 2016 2:03 PM
  • What would be ideal would be for the default for my organization to be "Reply" not "Reply All" without having to do anything.  I feel like it should be this way out of the box, but it would be great to at least be able to change the default going forward.

But you're right, I'll start a new thread.

Thanks,

John

Monday, August 29, 2016 3:43 PM