locked
Access Denied to entire page when user is lacking permissions to only one list RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm dealing with an issue with MOSS 2007 similar to what is on this page:

    http://blog.tylerholmes.com/2008/02/troubleshooting-access-denied-errors-in.html

     

    We have a sharepoint page that is a large list of links to ongoing projects.  Each of these links goes to another site for an individual project, built from a template, that has a number of lists and document libraries.  So we have about 50 of these individual project sites.

     

    Starting Monday, users started getting 'access denied' errors when clicking into most of these project sites.  I have discovered that there is a list on each of these sites that is causing this error.  If the user has access to this list, they can get into the project site.  If they don't, the whole site is blocked. 

     

    In the past, and still true with about 25% of the project sites, users could get into all of the projects but would get an 'access denied' just on that one list.  The only way I can get users into the project sites now is to set this list to inherit permissions from the parent, but this is not ideal as this list should not be available to everyone.

     

    I've played and compared and can't figure out any rhyme or reason.  The 25% of sites that still work (allowing users to the project site but blocking them from the one list) don't appear to have any difference in configuration. 

     

    Can anyone offer any ideas why blocking access to this one list ends up blocking the user from the whole site? 

     

    Thanks!

    Friday, January 28, 2011 8:56 PM

Answers

  • Based on what you said either permissions in AD/or SharePoint groups changed... Can you go back into the list permissions or audience and find the correct groups?


    Kris Wagner, MVP, MCITP, MCTS Twitter @sharepointkris Blog: http://www.sharepointkris.com/blog
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:11 AM
    Monday, January 31, 2011 6:59 AM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Based on what you said either permissions in AD/or SharePoint groups changed... Can you go back into the list permissions or audience and find the correct groups?


    Kris Wagner, MVP, MCITP, MCTS Twitter @sharepointkris Blog: http://www.sharepointkris.com/blog
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:11 AM
    Monday, January 31, 2011 6:59 AM
    Moderator
  • It appears AD auth is still working great.  Sharepoint is still finding new AD users and can search for users fine.

     

    Permissions for this one problematic list are set using a combination of AD groups, Sharepoint groups, and individual users.  Regardless of how I set the permissions, unless a user is specifically granted access to this list, they cannot have access to the whole page this list is on.  As soon as I remove either the individual user or the group the user is in from the list, they get 'access denied' from the whole site.

    Monday, January 31, 2011 3:53 PM