STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} RRS feed

• Question

•  

Every time I shutdown my computer I get the following error:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}

The Windows Logon Process system process terminated

unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000000 (0x00000000 0x00000000)

The system has been shut down.

I can shut down to the point of "Windows is shutting down" and then it goes to a black screen and then to the blue screen with the above message. My computer never powers off no matter how long I leave it, I end up having to pull the power or holding the power button for a while. I have no trouble booting my computer only powering it off.

I have done numerous virus, spyware, malware, and registry scans but still nothing. I have researched this for the past two weeks but I have not been able to find anything like what my computer is doing.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank You

Friday, August 15, 2008 3:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can try to use SFC to check whether it is a Windows Vista system files corrupted problem.

Use the System File Checker (SFC) to scan system files

=====================================================

The System File Checker tool enable an administrator to scan all protected files to verify their versions. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click "Start", type "CMD" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search" box. Right click on the "CMD.exe" file, choose "Run as Administrator"

2. Copy and paste "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open" box, and click "OK".

Note: There is a SPACE between "SFC" and "/Scannow", this command will take several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows installation source files.

However, if the issue still persists, we need to debug the crashed system dump and analyze the related source code if needed. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:37 AM

All replies

• Hi KHund,

Before moving on, I would like to share the following background information with you.

Bug Check 0xC000021A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms797159.aspx

Given the situation, please check your drivers on the computer.

In addition, do you have system restore backup point? If so, please try to restore to a early backup point to troubleshoot this issue.

Hope it helps.

Monday, August 18, 2008 9:14 AM
  • Thank you for your response.

The error only occurs during shutdown, never at startup.

I have tried booting from the last known good configuration and I still get the same error when I shutdown.

I don't recall having downloaded anything new when this error first started, it just came out of the blue one day.

I know that I should have a system backup but I only have a file backup so that won't help me any Sad

Thank You

Monday, August 18, 2008 11:06 PM
  • Hi,

I am also facing exactly the same error. I do not have a system restore point, so I could not do that as well. Also, I tried booting from the "Last Known good configuration" but still the same.

Any help would be highly desirable.

Restoring the system would be a *** lot of trouble because of the time that will go while installing the softwares again.

I would also like to mention here that I had installed 2 softwares recently. And then when these error started to occur, I uninstalled them completely, thinking that this may be one of the factor for this error.

Thanks.

Saabir.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:33 AM
  • Hi,

You can try to use SFC to check whether it is a Windows Vista system files corrupted problem.

Use the System File Checker (SFC) to scan system files

=====================================================

The System File Checker tool enable an administrator to scan all protected files to verify their versions. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click "Start", type "CMD" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search" box. Right click on the "CMD.exe" file, choose "Run as Administrator"

2. Copy and paste "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open" box, and click "OK".

Note: There is a SPACE between "SFC" and "/Scannow", this command will take several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows installation source files.

However, if the issue still persists, we need to debug the crashed system dump and analyze the related source code if needed. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:37 AM
  • I do not have an administrator password in order to run sfc /scannow.

I guess this is beyond my capabilities and I am going to be forced to take it to a professional.

Thank you for all your help.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:35 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Given the current situation, if you have any update on the issue, please let me know.

Thanks!

Thursday, August 21, 2008 7:29 AM
  • Thank you, I will keep you posted if I learn anything new.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:03 PM
  •  

Hi Khund,

It is virus Problem,u installed Super Anti Spyware (free Sw) update & scan Viruses

the Problem will be  solve
    Friday, September 19, 2008 6:44 AM
  • Thank you for the response. I am not sure as to what caused the issue but it just stopped all of a sudden a couple of days ago. Perhaps I finally ran enough virus scans to get rid of the issue.

Thank You

KHund

Friday, September 19, 2008 1:33 PM
  •  

Hi Guys,

Please keep this going, I've got the same problem except on start up and I can't get to safe mode... I've however, made a barts PE cd with the SATA drivers so I can access my disk and load a registry hive....

My real problem is I don't know how to fix this now I'd like to see what is being loaded when winlogon is trying to launch to narrow down the possibitlites.....

I though they where the keys in the hklm/software/microsoft/windows nt/current version/winlogon/notify

Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:27 PM
  • I started having the same problem on start up.  Tried numerous virus scans, sytem restores, software reloads and nothing works.  I'm starting to believe it's related to either SP3 or a Firefox 3 upgrade.  I'm approaching the end of my frustration and may actually load Linux OS and say Bye bye to Billy Gates and Co.  The MAC commercials are right!!
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 3:05 AM
  • Hey I am having the exact same problem that the first guy mentioned same error code same hex code and it always happens on shutdown. I own an older dell C610 (I am a simplist I just want my computer to work I care little about the fancy do da stuff) with windows XP sp3. I have tried registry fixers reinstalling drivers and de fragging and cleaning hard disk nothing works. the Dr.watson thing did not create the dump file so I am clueless and. does anyone in MS know what is causing this problem?

I am half tempted to put lenox on as well I just might If I cant solve this.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 5:17 AM
  • My Inspiron 1505 was doing this for a couple of months and then all of a sudden it stopped doing it and has been fine ever since. I don't know what caused it or what made it stop but my computer is shutting down normally now. I don't know what I did to make it work normally again other then constant virus, spy-ware, registry cure, and defrag scans.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 1:04 PM
  • I am using Windows XP Home software. The symptoms are identical to those of KHund except that mine are intermittent. I have to shut off the power to the PC to close. After that I can boot up and run OK for several days but it reappears eventually. Is there a simple solution? Thanks.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 4:06 PM
  • Hi fellow frustrated guys! My computer background is strong. However this one is getting to me. I am going to start this issue over with what I know. First however I would like to know from the creators where are these codes located for us to see. You took the time to add them and it was a great idea. However everyone says this means that and so on. I would like to be able to look for myself. Below is what I have found.

Upon installation of new hard drives and a clean install of Vista biz 32bit. I start thy computer and install disk one. ..........Loading windows files (Black screen with grey bar) ......... Windows knight rider bar goes back in forth at this screen. The all known loading of windows....... Black screen 3 sec ......BSOD (Blue Screen of Death)... It says the following verbatum ( I know can't spell and if I can don't know it :) ).

STOP:  c000021a {FATAL SYSTEM ERROR}
    The initial session process or system process terminated unexpectedly with a status
    of 0x00000000 (0xc0000001 0x0010034c). The sysem has been shut down.

This is not a virus. This is not personal hardware ie consumer video card or sound or what ever. I took everything out but mobo/drive/power/ram. On the ram took all sticks out and one by one added them the above. Tried different drives none would work the above. Was able to get it up and working with the old drive with OS already on it(one time, next day after this post same thing). This tells us a few things. First not a hardware issue (4 brand new hard drives 2 sata 2 IDE w jumper placement changes. 2 yesterday 2 today). If it was say your Mobo then everytime. Power the same. Memory too. This is software issue. At the motherboard level. I would suggest from my (cussing permited when working on cars and computers)(&*^%^&) shall we say frustrated few days or research and my creation of a whole new vulgar language that it is a Bios issue. I tried all sorts of settings in there. Load optimized. Load fail safe. Cmos. The list goes on. I am betting a update of your bios will fix it.

However I am wrong about lots of thing during the course of the day. So please Microsoft Genie if I am wrong tell me how. Teach me to fish. I have used those disks a few times. I don't see how the disk would work but mutate.     ......If I just knew what c000021a ment.

I will post here when I find the fix. If you do not hear from me I am busy digging a hole to fit my case and smashed up bits of silicon valley! 

UPDATE
    Flash of Bios did not fix it so I was wrong on that front. Should of known since it does Bomb out in loading windows.
    Tried different cd drives this also did not help.

My next steps tonight when I get home is to Wipe the Drives (they are new but have WD junk on them standard). I will use a Disk wipe utility.
    Will load Windows xp on disk drives then will upgrade to Vista and see if that works.

Corruption somewhere - Either on my install disk or a driver of some sort. The good news is I have created my first Bootable thumb drive for the bios flash. Worked like a charm. Never needed to do so before. My Bios did need updating anyway.

I feel I will stumble onto the fix before a reply to this thread with the answers. We all know as soon as I fix it and log on here the answer will be posted lol. I will edit this post with what I find in hopes of helping someone else out.

Last this is my setup because I've seen alot of the same do you have this

Lanparty mobo in anyform (Mine is Lanparty DK 48x-tr2s)
    Western Digital HDD's Sata or IDE as I got the same error on both
    Vista

I also have 2x ATI HD 4870 video cards
    and 1000w corsair power supply
    q6600 Quad core
    and a migrane!

I can give a better listing of my gear but really it won't help to fix this issue. I see desktops and laptops getting this issue. Common denomenator is Vista / drivers / power lol / files / and frustration that a code look up is not present or plain english.

AGAIN please let me type my error code any error code in a search box and it tell me what it is saying. Even if it is not a microsoft error and microsoft has no clue. Then it can say I don't know. We will atleast know that it is not a microsoft error. There should be a link on this website that says ERROR CODES. When you click on it it should have a drop down and say Event Viewer / BSOD / Microsoft Programs  [ search box ].

Thank you. I will try to reply.

Update 2     day - To many

OK so I got xp disk went through the normal steps of install. It was going then I hit this NEW AND INPROVED BSOD at the 3 loading screen !

Check for Viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or their controllers. Check your HDD to make sure it is properly configured and terminated right. Run chkdsk /f and check for HDD Corruption then restart.
    STOP:
    0x0000007b (0xf78d2524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Steps taken to fix:
    Differnet Video Card ------- Same result
    Disk wipe drives -------- done to 65% was told only needed 5% -------- tried xp disk again same result
    Disk wipe while at work 100% ------- tried xp disk and vista disk same result

Conclusion: Everything on the web I have found hours of reading by the by says its everything but your mother and you need to reinstall os..........
    someone reading this behind me will say hey dummie that 2nd BSOD says its your hard drives. NOPE. 4 different hard drives with the same issue read wall of text above. there is no OS on these disks. ____ there is nothing on them now that I wiped them. I have done everything I can think of and everything the web can think of and my coworkers. hundreds of years of exp. Microsoft doesn't even know what it is. Read the posts they all say different stuff. So.. I give up. It will bother me for some time that there is a fix. I just can't see it. I'm tired. This has almost driven me mad. I ran out of runway. I can't see another troubleshooting tree to go down. Other than what I'm going to do. New Mobo and processor. thats the only thing left I havn't swaped out or tested.

Please If someone has had these errors during a FRESH INSTALL only. If that person had fixed this. Please post it. Please make it a new post . Call it SOLVED and the BSOD Code above. I assure you there isn't a lack of these posts about this one BSOD just no answers. All people say is have to go into cmd this and recovery that.... don't get that far. Seems no one posts about fixing it. Only posters are those who have it and those who think they know what it is (having never fixed it before or seen it). Thank you in advanced.

Liggy

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 2:54 AM
  •  

I can shut down to the point of "Windows is shutting down" and then it goes to a black screen and then to the blue screen with the above message. My computer never powers off no matter how long I leave it, I end up having to pull the power or holding the power button for a while. I have no trouble booting my computer only powering it off.

I have done numerous virus, spyware, malware, and registry scans but still nothing. I have researched this for the past two weeks but I have not been able to find anything like what my computer is doing.

Thank You

• Proposed as answer by juzer_mjl Saturday, July 18, 2009 10:39 AM
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 10:38 AM
  •  

Thank You

Please help
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 4:29 AM
  • I really hate to be critical of people. Especially those to whom your expecting to be a professional in their field. But my reply is about another reply to a post that is about a " Windows Logon Process system process FAILURE. It was terminated during the log-on process. You can not log in so its impossible to get to the desktop to get to START,

I know this because I got this error this morning.  And what's kicker?

It's on a pc that is not internet connected or has been given or could be given a virus or spy/add-ware. (a) because we have no internet to connect to & (b) it has never had any ripped or burned CD/DVD or floppy or any other medium connected to it with any type of infection possibilities.

I use this desktop PC to play Single player games like Call of duty,Medal of honor , All of the Battlefield games like 1942, BF2,2142 etc... and have ONLY installed the games from store bought CD's or DVD's. Not even a downloaded map.

It ran fine daily for over 4 months since my sister gave it to me. It has IOLO system mechanic on it that I always used for registry maintenance,and defrag of HD & memory.

My problem happened when I first noticed I had stored to much stuff on it.

So last night I formatted an old 120GB Barracuda HD in a USB external enclosure with my laptop. I then connected it (completely empty & formatted) as a slave drive to transfer over 70 gigs of data from the master drive of my desktop. I let it go all night and this morning when it was done I turned it off. I removed the slave drive & put it away.It was off for about an hour and when I turned it back on to delete the originals that I had copied from the master I got the error & the BSOD.

I could not get by it. It just will not go passed the XP loading screen without the BSOD popping in. I tried every optional choices it gives with no luck. 

I re-installed the slave drive but still no luck. I doubt its a virus or spyware/adware. or an update. Seeing that I had never updated it to have one to infect it. I believe that during my transfer of files I unknowingly moved or deleted a system necessary file that was within a folder that I moved to the other drive. Somehow a system necessary file was moved, deleted or has become corrupt. But which one & where it goes or was is another story.  

If I find out what it is & how to fix it without resorting to a full system restore, I will post it here for those who need it.         

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 6:29 PM