none
Cannot fetch SharePoint on-premise list 'Shared Documents' schema or list reference is broken RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to migrate a SP 2013 on-prem library to SPO using the SPMT.  What is the workaround when you receive error "Cannot fetch SharePoint on-premise list 'Shared Documents' schema or list reference is broken" and 0 items are migrated?

A partial document migration was successful v1.1.97.0.  However, I get this error in v2.0.99.0 and v2.0.99.1 and the migration process is halted without migrating any documents.

Thursday, May 3, 2018 6:25 PM

All replies

• I got the same error today.

Cannot fetch SharePoint on-premise list 'Documents' schema or list reference is broken","ACTION_STOP","0x02010023

The list reference is broken. The lookup field 'Taxonomy Catch All Column' cannot find the referred list '{ID}'

"Documents" library is a simple out-of-the-box Document Library: no custom fields, additional features etc.

List ID is equal to "TaxonomyHiddenList" on Root Web on Site Collection. It's a special hidden list used by SharePoint for using Managed Metadata on the site. Permissions are verified - "Everyone" group has read access to this list.

I'm able to migrate the document libraries with Migration API using PowerShell cmdlets, but not with Migration Tool. Please, provide any possible feedback, if any. Thanks!

Friday, May 11, 2018 1:16 PM
  • The list to migrate includes a reference to an unsupported list type field 'Taxonomy Catch All Column' (SPMT doesn’t support taxonomy yet)

In SPMT V1 it works because V1 doesn’t support reference field. But with V2 have this ability of migrating reference type, if it referred to an unsupported feature, it will fail.

We will follow up with PM team on your feedback. 

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 5:34 AM
  • Thanks for your feedback. 

We will follow up with PM team on your feedback. 

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 5:34 AM
  • Hi Hua,

We ran into the same issue today using SPMT v2.0.99.9 and wanted to check if there was an update? What are options to continue with our migration with this error? We did try to re-install SPMT v1.1.90.1 but are redirected to download v2 of SPMT. However, we also do not want to revert back to v1.1.90.1 as we are not able to migrate lists.

Any assistance or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• Edited by PJ28 Thursday, May 31, 2018 10:54 PM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 3:54 PM
  • Hi Hua,

Getting the same error using V2.0.99.0.

Cannot Fetch SharePoint on-premise list '' schema or list reference is broken.

List was having a lookup column, lookup list was created successfully.

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 4:11 PM
  • For the record, I had the same error:

The list reference is broken. The lookup field 'Taxonomy Catch All Column' cannot find the referred list '4cdd7b3e-3624-4c73-8d14-dd2709a43400'.

I needed to delete the "Taxonomy Catch All Column1" and "Taxonomy Catch All Column" fields from the list first using PowerShell and then re-run the migration.

Powershell was the following:

$web = Get-SPWeb "https://sharepointsiteweb"
    $list = $web.Lists["Documents"]
    $field = $list.Fields["Taxonomy Catch All Column1"]
    $field.Delete()
    $field = $list.Fields["Taxonomy Catch All Column"]
    $field.Delete()

• Edited by RobF_za Thursday, January 3, 2019 8:00 PM
    • Proposed as answer by RobF_za Thursday, January 3, 2019 8:00 PM
    Thursday, January 3, 2019 7:58 PM
  • The issue is finally fixed in in SharePoint Migration Tool v3.0.104.2 BETA, which is available to be downloaded there: http://spmtreleasescus.blob.core.windows.net/betainstall/. Tested on the same data, which previously failed - works fine.

SPMT now removes unsupported Taxonomy fields during migration, which is correct behavior in our case.

[LOGGING][DEBUG]Taxonomy supportive field TaxCatchAll is removed from web/list https://contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/sample-site.
    [LOGGING][DEBUG]Taxonomy supportive field TaxCatchAllLabel is removed from web/list https://contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/sample-site.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 4:21 PM
  • Hi Vlad, I am having the same issue and this Beta version did not resolve the issue. I did verify the referenced lookup lists still exist and tried to open/save with no luck. Any other suggestions here?

Friday, October 11, 2019 2:43 PM
  • Hi Vlad, I am having the same issue and this Beta version did not resolve the issue. I did verify the referenced lookup lists still exist and tried to open/save with no luck. Any other suggestions here?

Hi, @Alpachi,

We don't experience that issue anymore. Now SPMT v3.2.114.0 is in use - and seems it's removing unsupported Taxonomy Fields from the package.

2019-10-18 17:15:46.6027|ERROR|WF|264|0b8e4326|Taxonomy migration: fail to migrate taxonomy, continue other migration Microsoft.SharePoint.MigrationTool.MigrationLib.SharePoint.MigSPExceptionBase: The on-premises term store language '1040' cannot be found at SPO.
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.MigrationTool.MigrationLib.Taxonomy.TaxonomyMigrator.EnsureAllLanguageExists()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.MigrationTool.MigrationLib.Taxonomy.TaxonomyMigrator.MigrateGroups(Boolean isSiteLevel)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.MigrationTool.MigrationLib.Schema.SchemaMigrator.MigrateTaxonomy(Boolean isSiteLevel, Boolean scanOnly)
    2019-10-18
     17:15:48.2597|DEBUG|WF|264|0b8e4326|Taxonomy supportive field TaxCatchAll is removed from web/list https://contoso.sharepoint.com/teams/team-site-1
    2019-10-18 17:15:48.2597|DEBUG|WF|264|0b8e4326|Taxonomy supportive field TaxCatchAllLabel is removed from web/list https://contoso.sharepoint.com/teams/team-site-1.

If you still experience that issue - try to REMOVE these columns on Source site before migration, as @RobF_za suggested above.

Monday, October 21, 2019 8:38 AM
  • Hello @Vlad,

I have the latest version and still seeing this issue with my specific lookup fields.

As this is a Production environment I am migrating from to SPOnline, how would i "REMOVE" these fields without affecting the source list items?

Thanks for the help here!

Monday, October 21, 2019 3:06 PM