Question on Clear Install Flag RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings!

We are battling SCCM client health issues in our environment where there are almost 4000 records of inactive client vs 35000 active ones. We would like to introduce some best practices to remove the unwanted entries (duplicate records, obsolete machines) from the SCCM DB. As part of doing that, we have started to analyze the site maintenance tasks and i would like to know the best option for my case.

I did go through a lot of blogs that says the client rediscovery period has to be more than the heartbeat discovery and we have scheduled heartbeat discovery to run every day and the Clear Install Flag task is enabled and set to run every 21 days which is the default. (Site wide auto client push is disabled in our environment)

I would like to know if i have to change any of these settings that would make any difference. Any expert advice will be appreciated. 

Friday, April 29, 2016 6:41 PM

Answers

• Resource filtering ar the options you noted on System Discovery.

Other than these maintenance tasks, there's nothing else built-in. There are a couple of powershelgl scripts floating around the web that do comparisons and clean up that way for which you could certainly also write your own.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Marked as answer by Rog M Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:51 PM
    Tuesday, May 3, 2016 1:41 AM

All replies

• If client push is disabled, resetting the client install flag is pointless. The whole reason to reset this flag is so that the resource would be subject to client auto-push again.

If you want to cleanup stale resources, you need to enable the Delete Aged Discovery Data and Delete Inactive Client Discovery Data tasks as well as enable resource filtering in your AD discoveries to ensure stale objects aren't simply rediscovered from AD.

Friday, April 29, 2016 7:46 PM
  • Dear Sir,

Enable built-in Maintenance Task which Jason pointed out.

Also, cleaning up devices that already deleted from Active Directory

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Cleanup-in-AD-deleted-b80e452d

You also need to figure out why clients become inactive. If it's client broken, you may need to create collection and manually push client to these computers.

Best regards

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 2, 2016 5:13 AM
  • Thanks Jason & Frank...

We had no intention to disable the auto client push but a recent issue in our production environment made us do it. (When a new image is getting installed, the auto client push would interrupt the application install and resulted in applications not getting installed part of the task sequence... SCCM client install is actually part of the task sequence but even before that starts, the auto client push interrupted the new image install.. so we had to stop the auto client push which was a workaround)

We will be turning it back on as soon as we sort out this existing issue.

By the way, Delete aged Discovery Data (90 days) & Delete Inactive Client Discovery Data (15 days) was also been enabled already.

I am not sure what "Resource filtering" is...!!

In the AD System Discovery, we have options to discovery only computers that have updated passwords in the last 30 days and last logon is 30 days.

• Edited by Rog M Monday, May 2, 2016 3:42 PM Other site maintenance was already enabled
    Monday, May 2, 2016 3:39 PM
  • Resource filtering ar the options you noted on System Discovery.

Other than these maintenance tasks, there's nothing else built-in. There are a couple of powershelgl scripts floating around the web that do comparisons and clean up that way for which you could certainly also write your own.

• Marked as answer by Rog M Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:51 PM
    Tuesday, May 3, 2016 1:41 AM