Windows 7 RC and USB storage devices RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I installed Windows 7 in my computer (Asus NH3 motherboard, Nforce chipset).
    I've found a problem with USB external disks.
    I have two external disks. When I copy several large files (movies, backups, etc) a message appears that the destination cannot be found. If I open Windows Explorer, y can see the disk (I guess is the cache) but I cannot copy or write anything on it.
    Sometimes if I turn off and then back on the disk, the problem goes away, but sometimes I have to reboot.
    This happens with both external disks and also with a Kingston USB flash memory.

Monday, May 18, 2009 3:20 PM

Answers

• Nforce will probably be issuing better chipset drivers to improve the USB problems.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    • Marked as answer by Cesar Fu Monday, May 25, 2009 8:02 PM
    Monday, May 25, 2009 5:38 PM

All replies

• Hi, I installed Windows 7 in my computer (Asus NH3 motherboard, Nforce chipset).
    I've found a problem with USB external disks.
    I have two external disks. When I copy several large files (movies, backups, etc) a message appears that the destination cannot be found. If I open Windows Explorer, y can see the disk (I guess is the cache) but I cannot copy or write anything on it.
    Sometimes if I turn off and then back on the disk, the problem goes away, but sometimes I have to reboot.
    This happens with both external disks and also with a Kingston USB flash memory.

A little more info: I made a clean install of Windows 7 RC 64 bits. The first time I made an upgrade, but the disk performance was very poor, so I decided to make a clean install instead.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 4:20 PM
  • Cesar.....this may sound stupid in it's simplicity, so don't take it as a slight, but I thought I'd ask......have you checked the event log, in the off chance it may be logging something useful?....sometimes it does.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 1:36 AM
  • Nforce will probably be issuing better chipset drivers to improve the USB problems.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    • Marked as answer by Cesar Fu Monday, May 25, 2009 8:02 PM
    Monday, May 25, 2009 5:38 PM
  • Yes I downloaded the Nforce Beta drivers and it improves the USB access. Although If you access the USB drive from two different apps, for example copying a file with Windows Explorer and simultaneously save a file in Mozilla, the USB drive freezes.
    I hope Nvidia release better drivers soon.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 8:05 PM