none
New Windows Update Error - Unsure how to proceed RRS feed

• Question

• We use Desktop Central to manage our windows updates. I've come across a new error that I have not seen all year. They are telling me it's a Microsoft error and they have no information on it. 

I have a couple of Windows 7 machines that have the following error on multiple updates.

An attempt was made to create more links on a file than the file system supports.

Of the machines having this issue, they're not all the same KB. Using one of the machines as example, it's having this issue with 3 updates.

2019-10 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4519976)

2019-09 Security Only Quality Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4516033)

2019-08 Security Only Quality Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4512486)

Seems like the standard Windows Updates fix's aren't working. Software distribution folder rename, fixit tools, etc. I'm not see this on any of our Windows 10 machines. 

Any idea how to go about resolving this? Reimaging is way at the bottom of the list due to these machines being at remote sites. 

Friday, November 8, 2019 2:45 PM

All replies

• Microsoft Windows 7 has 2 updates for Windows.1st is: windowsupdateagent-7.6-x86

The 2nd is: windowsupdateagent 20-x86   while the 1st is easier to run,both work..Plus,the pc should have  .NET

able thru windows services,& Defender should install and run latest version,& kb890830 gets installed,follow the link.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=890830

Defender is also listed but w/o Windows OS type,maybe its simply compatable to all OS.Also,in cmd,type: services.msc  scroll thru,double click on a service/edit,at least set to Manual start if its in Disable...

Saturday, November 9, 2019 4:41 AM