none
Installed Programs/Software Script RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone! My name is John, our company is currently replacing our staff's computers and each one of them have their own list of programs that they need to get their jobs done. I was wondering if you guys can help me out with a script that will copy all of their installed programs/software and will put it in a location somewhere so that all we have to do is put that file in the new computer and run a script to transfer the programs in the new computers? Please and thank you!!!
    • Edited by Nvid Friday, December 20, 2013 3:45 PM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 3:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Try this code and let me know if you are looking for this output

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Product | Select-Object -Property Name | Export-Csv C:\Temp\Software.CSV -NoTypeInformation

I mean those list of software needs to be installed on new PC?

Regards Chen V [MCTS SharePoint 2010]

Friday, December 20, 2013 4:23 PM
  • Yes, the programs needs to be copied to the new computer
    Friday, December 20, 2013 4:31 PM
  • You cannot copy program.  You must reinstall them on each new computer.  What Chen has given you is a way to get a list of wha tis installed.  It would be better to do a survey of what is used by manager/department/job description.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, December 20, 2013 4:37 PM
  • Hi,

This might help you migrate your user profiles (there's a Win7 compatible version as well):

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825256.aspx

This won't do anything with software installation though.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,420+ strong and growing)

Friday, December 20, 2013 4:43 PM
  • So this is not possible then?
    Friday, December 20, 2013 4:44 PM

The consensus here is that it is not possible and could damage the new system.

I recommend hiring a trained Windows technician to help you with your migration.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Edited by jrv Friday, December 20, 2013 4:46 PM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 4:46 PM
  • thank you very for all the info! as for that command, do I just run that in a command prompt?
    Friday, December 20, 2013 4:49 PM

Pretty much everything is possible, it's just a matter of time.

Unless you're looking at thousands of systems, you'll most likely get your migration done faster by installing software by hand instead of writing, testing, and bugfixing a custom script.

Friday, December 20, 2013 4:50 PM
  • thank you very for all the info! as for that command, do I just run that in a command prompt?

If you're talking about Chen's command, that's PowerShell. It will give you a listing of all software installed on the local PC.

Friday, December 20, 2013 4:51 PM
  • Thanks Mike, @Nvid you can try this and check the path of the msi and other files I am not sure

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Product | Select -Property * | Export-Csv C:\Temp\Software.CSV -NoTypeInformation

This will give path of the msi and windwos update URL. 

to run this you should follow the below steps

1. Click Start

2. Search for PowerShell

3. Right Click PowerShell and select Run as Administrator.

4. Copy paste my command

Please share your feedback

Regards Chen V [MCTS SharePoint 2010]

Friday, December 20, 2013 5:35 PM
  • I think you will find that the MSI files residue on a system re not complete and cannot be used to install  afresh install.  They are only good for a repair, upgrade or removal.  This is definitely true of Office and most larger pieces of software.

I am a believer in a software inventory that is kept in a database or spreadsheet and assigned by job description.  This si criticl for compliance and for security as well as being a good way of understanding what people need to do their jobs.

A new migration is a very good time to start building this set.

1 - base set for all (like adobe and flash...etc company standards)
    2. - per department
    3. - per group
    4. - special by job description.
    5. - exceptions (extra assignments)

On a Windows 7 upgrade we can always use the free XP VM or just capture the users boot drive and attach it as a VM. I have done this frequently.  After the user verifies that all files and programs have been relocated we can then just archive the VHD.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, December 20, 2013 6:07 PM
  • thank you everyone for helping! I really appreciate it!
    Friday, December 20, 2013 6:22 PM
  • Hi, the command works fine as far as just listing the software but when export is added it errors out

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Product | Select-Object -Property Name

is there a way to make it create a file or a txt file containing the list and placed in the C Drive?

Friday, December 20, 2013 6:54 PM
  • What error are you getting? Try just this:

Get-WmiObject Win32_Product | Export-Csv .\softwareList.csv -NoTypeInformation

EDIT: This should also work just fine:

Get-WmiObject Win32_Product | Select Name,Version | Export-Csv .\softwareList.csv -NoTypeInformation

Friday, December 20, 2013 7:02 PM
  • cool both of them works, is there a way to make it a txt file instead of csv?
    Friday, December 20, 2013 7:08 PM
  • Sure:

Get-WmiObject Win32_Product | 
        Select Name,Version |
            Sort Name |
                Format-Table -AutoSize |
                    Out-String -Width 4096 |
                        Out-File .\softwareList.txt

EDIT: Here's a good reference:

http://poshoholic.com/2010/11/11/powershell-quick-tip-creating-wide-tables-with-powershell/

Friday, December 20, 2013 7:12 PM
  • Hi Nvid.

It sound like you are new to IT so I'll try to keep this straightforward.

For a successful migration, you will need to plan this and use the appropriate tools.

What you are trying to do there is called a software audit and there are tools available to help you do this.

I suggest first downloading the Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit as this will create a basic audit and readiness report for you. You should then read the migration guides on technet.

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com

Friday, December 20, 2013 8:50 PM
  • Andrew is spot-on.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, December 20, 2013 9:00 PM