Outlook Contacts - Searching for myself returns too many results. RRS feed

• Question

• After a recent update to Office 365, using Outlook, when I search for my name in contacts it returns too many results. I have a contact record for other staff to see and some information and I need to lookup it up periodically as I keep information in the notes that I can't always remember. But when I search for my name, the system returns most if not every contact record. I assume it is because it finds my name in most records since I created most of them. It should ignore the created by information if that's the issue.

Edgar T. Hammer III

Saturday, February 10, 2018 2:07 PM

All replies

• Hi TackH,

>> I assume it is because it finds my name in most records since I created most of them. It should ignore the created by information if that's the issue.

Generally, the author's name won't be automatically included when a note is created. I tested in my Outlook 2016 and Outlook 2013 but cannot reproduce the issue described in your post. 

Have you checked the search results and seen if your name appeared in the notes?
    As this is a recently occurred issue, could you please collect the detailed build number of your Outlook then we can do further research on this?

Any updates, please post back at ease.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, February 12, 2018 11:10 AM
  • A point of clarification is that the problem is occurring in shared folder. The shared folder has 1385 records. When I search for Edgar (my first name) or Hammer (my last name), all 1385 records are returned. If I search for someone else like Judy, Daugherty, Alan, I just get back matching records. But I also just discovered that if a search for Mike, I get back all 1385 records even though there are records that should match. And we do not have a Mike in our company.

I’m working with Version 1708 (Build 8431.2153 Click-to-Run)

Edgar T. Hammer III

Monday, February 12, 2018 1:22 PM
  • A point of clarification is that the problem is occurring in shared folder. The shared folder has 1385 records. When I search for Edgar (my first name) or Hammer (my last name), all 1385 records are returned. If I search for someone else like Judy, Daugherty, Alan, I just get back matching records. But I also just discovered that if a search for Mike, I get back all 1385 records even though there are records that should match. And we do not have a Mike in our company.

I’m working with Version 1708 (Build 8431.2153 Click-to-Run)

Edgar T. Hammer III

Hi TackH,

Does this issue affect other users who have access to the shared folder?
    How about switching between Online mode and Exchange Cached mode to see if there is any difference between the search results? 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 16, 2018 7:57 AM
  • This is happening for all users on our team. We are 99% certain that the problem is that search is including the "FROM" field under "All Mail Fields." If our employee sent an email to the client, then that client's contact comes up when we search for our employee's name. That's a PAIN when all I want to find is my employee's contact record.

In this case, I searched for Justin, an employee, but Mary Ann Kilkeary is one of the hundreds of records that are found. As you can see, Justin apparently sent Mary Ann an email or created this record.

Edgar T. Hammer III

• Edited by TackH Thursday, June 21, 2018 8:37 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2018 8:34 PM
  • Hi,

is there any Solution for this annoying Problem?

Regards.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:34 AM