none
Changing lag between linked tasks changes automatically to elapsed time in Project 2016 since september 2016. RRS feed

  • Question

  • Dear all,

    Try this: link two task in auto scheduled task mode using Project 2016. Open Task Information or Task Dependency and change the duration in the Lag field. It doesn't matter what you type but it automatically changes to elapsed or e time. Only when entered in the column Predecessors (Entry table) or the Details Form (Split View) it sticks to working time.

    Is this caused by a Windows, an Office or a Project update? And has anyone reported this before? Any suggestions/solutions are welcome!

    Thanks,

    Theo de Kreijger

    Wednesday, September 7, 2016 8:59 PM

Answers

  • Hi,

    after update today (Version 1611 (Build 7571.2072)), the issue is solved.

    Regards
    Barbara


    To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

    Thursday, December 8, 2016 2:39 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Theo --

    To my dismay, I can duplicate the behavior you have reported in both Microsoft Project 2016 and in Project Pro for Office 365.  This is definitely a BUG and not default behavior.  Microsoft Project 2016 is installed on a Windows 8 laptop and Project Pro for Office 365 is installed on a Windows 10 laptop, so the operating system does not seem to be the source of the bug.  I will report this bug to Microsoft and see what they say.  Thanks for reporting it!


    Dale A. Howard [MVP]

    Wednesday, September 7, 2016 9:14 PM
    Moderator
  • This exact same question has just come up at:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-project/msp-link-lag-units-have-defaulted-to-elapsed-days/f945221b-98cb-433b-8863-2df03c7e9700

    If MS keeps "improving" the application like this it will cease to work at all.

    Wednesday, September 7, 2016 10:16 PM
  • Howard,

    Thank you for checking and reporting the problem. Hopefully this will be corrected in a next update.

    I found a workaround to avoid the "lag changing to elapsed time" error:

    A. Do not use Task Information or Task Dependency anymore.

    B. Change the lag time only in the Details Form (right-click Gantt Chart and select Show Split or select the Details checkmark on the View ribbon) or if you know all commands by hart use the Predecessors column.

    Now you will be able to add lag in working time or elapsed time without any problems.

    Regards,

    Theo

    Saturday, September 10, 2016 8:46 AM
  • Theo --

    Thanks for sharing the workaround you have discovered.  An additional workaround would be to remove the "e" in "edays" by editing the link data in either the Predecessors or Successors column.  Hope this helps.


    Dale A. Howard [MVP]

    Saturday, September 10, 2016 6:48 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi,

    after update today (Version 1611 (Build 7571.2072)), the issue is solved.

    Regards
    Barbara


    To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

    Thursday, December 8, 2016 2:39 PM
    Moderator
  • I started experiencing this problem just few weeks ago in my Microsoft Project 365 Pro. It is installed on Windows 7 Professional laptop 2 years ago and have been working perfectly until just recently.

    What do I do to fix it. It is driving me insane!

    Sladjana

    Thursday, March 30, 2017 6:47 AM
  • I am experiencing this same problem. The only work around is to edit the lag time in the split screen view. In the Task Tab click on Details and then you can edit the lag time for every task.

    I am using Windows 10, MS Project 2016. I have the latest updates from Microsoft and this bug is still there.

    Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:48 PM