none
DPM 2010 - Tape drive in use 24052 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am using DPM 2010 and have recently hit a problem with a file copy failing.

Environment:

• Windows Server 2008 R2 server
    • IBM TS3100 library with SAS HH LTO4
    • DPM 2010

Symptoms:

• Error ID 24052 on 2 Tape copy operations
    • Drive shows as idle on the management tab
    • there are no tapes shown as being loaded
    • other tape backup jobs pass through without issue

Things I have tried:

• Updated library and drive firmware to the latest
    • Updated library and drive drivers to the latest, non-exclusive drivers
    • Restarted the server
    • Rescanned the library
    • Updated all critical and security patches on OS
    • Manually cleaned the drive from within the tape console
    • Checked in DB for :

SQL_TABLE_NAME             COLUMN_HEADING            DESIRED       value meaning
    ===============    =================  ========  ============
    dbo-tbl_MM_TapeDrive       DriveStatus                         0                0=none 1=Need scleaning 2=Needs Servicing

dbo.tbl_MM_Glogal_Drive   ReservationLevel                  0                0=none 1 or 2 = reserved by some task.

dbo.tbl_MM_Drive              OperationOccuring                0                0=none >0=operation in progress

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mat.

Monday, October 25, 2010 4:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM 2007 behaves the same way when both short term to tape and long term to tape protection is configured for a PG.  Are you certain you were not doing short term disk, long term tape protection before ?  That option only requires a single tape drive.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, November 8, 2010 10:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Mat

Do you see something in your eventlog's? If you preform a detailed inventory, what happends?

Please post all information you can about your trouble.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:12 PM
  • Oz,

What do you mean by this "Error ID 24052 on 2 Tape copy operations"  Are you trying to make tape copies ?  How many tape drives do you have in the IBM TS3100 library ? 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, October 29, 2010 11:04 PM
  • Hi Guys,

Sorry for the lazy reply - the alerts didn't come through to the responses.

To answer Robert:

• In the DPM Alerts log:

The data copy job failed for the following reason:

(ID: 3310)

DPM could not reserve the drive resource because one of required drive resources is not online or it needs cleaning or servicing. (ID: 24052)

• No other events are raised relating to this in the hardware, system or application event logs.
    • If I do a detailed inventory, everything goes through without error but still no go

To answer Mike:

• I am not trying to do a copy. The protection group is a standard volume protection group. I am backing up a couple of data drives - namely a file server and some others. I am doing both short and long term to tape with incrementals during the week and a full on Sat. This used to work fine.

The most curious part about this is that the backup appears to run. I can view tape contents and see that there is a session on the tape and the tape size seems to match. I do however see why you would ask about the tape copy part. I only have one drive in the library and the error has the option to "run tape copy job again", which kinda suggests it is trying to copy a tape?

Thanks Guys,

Mat.

Monday, November 8, 2010 5:47 AM
  • Hi,

You cannot perform both short term and long term backup to tape in a single tape drive configuration.  When a long term backup job is triggered, it mount the tape from the last full backup and copies it to another tape for long term (offsite) backup.  You will either need to install another tape drive in the IBM tape library, or add a standalone drive to use for the tape copy operation.   Once you add the drive, go through the PG Wizard and make sure the appropriate library is selected for the  'copy library" option.

Monday, November 8, 2010 3:15 PM
  • Thanks Mike. Is this a DPM 2010 requirement as in DPM 2007, I had no issues at all with this config?

Mat.

Monday, November 8, 2010 9:32 PM
  • Hi,

DPM 2007 behaves the same way when both short term to tape and long term to tape protection is configured for a PG.  Are you certain you were not doing short term disk, long term tape protection before ?  That option only requires a single tape drive.

Monday, November 8, 2010 10:31 PM
  • Hey Mat,

I Have the same issue with my DPM 2010 and the TS3100.

After one backup cycle the tape just stays in the drive.

Only moving the tape from the IBM webUI and a detailed inventory fixes it.

Did you find the solution?

Thanks,

Adi

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:32 AM
  • Hello all.

I am having this issue as well. I have tried what Golan says but I the webUI tells me that the drive is empty. I have tried to move the cleaning tape to another slot, and later return it back, and the error is not solved.

I need help! Thanks a lot!

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 12:56 PM