WSUS 6.3.9600 download from Microsoft is slow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I have a Windows 2012 R2 with a WSUS role installed. No proxy is used and the Firewall is open for all connection from my server.

the WSUS sync is being done in a sec and is successfull all the time. but downloading files are slow and I mean it, slow. I am monitoring the network activity of server and total activity including RDP(obviousely my own session) is 24 kbps.

No limitation on BITS related group policy, meaning BITS should take all the bandwidth. I have also tried to put WSUS download priority to foreground and no difference at all. There is no error in eventlog.

to test the Internet connection of server I have tried to download a few files from Internet and it is good. but when I tried same method(using below commands) to download a cab file from Microsoft found out that it is so very slow.

Invoke-WebRequest http://wsus.ds.download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/secu/2014/11/windows6.1-kb3013126-x64_5f0fe205d25b45dc7b6b6a3bcd1279be19f3a013.cab-OutFile $env:TEMP

Start-BitsTransfer -Source http://wsus.ds.download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/secu/2014/11/windows6.1-kb3013126-x64_5f0fe205d25b45dc7b6b6a3bcd1279be19f3a013.cab-Destination $env:Temp -Priority Foreground

any idea?

Regards, Hamid

• Edited by Hamid Vahidi Monday, December 5, 2016 3:31 AM Unlinked the URL in command to make it more readable
    Monday, December 5, 2016 3:24 AM

Answers

• I found the solution to the WSUS problem yesterday afternoon.

The solution is put a limitation greater or equal to 200kbps and less than 600Kbps. I had tried applying this limitation but with numbers like 2, 100, 1000, 10000 and so on.

I was suspicious of bandwidth effects on the problem so, yesterday with try and error I found this miraculously working range, which I still don’t have an explanation for it J but it works.

• Marked as answer by Hamid Vahidi Thursday, December 8, 2016 10:18 PM
    • Edited by Hamid Vahidi Friday, January 6, 2017 4:22 AM
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 10:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Hamid Vahidi,

Please check if you use the following method to set WSUS to download updates in foreground mode:

1.Download and install the following tools:

Microsoft Command Line Utilities 11 for SQL Server:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36433

ODBC driver 11 for SQL:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36434

2. In CMD, direct to SQLCMD.exe path using command:

cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Client SDK\ODBC\110\Tools\Binn

3. In CMD, run the following command:

SQLCMD -E -S np:\\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query –d “SUSDB" –Q “update tbConfigurationC set BitsDownloadPriorityForeground=1”

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 5, 2016 5:47 AM
  • Hi Ann

Thanks for reply.

The command you put didn't work.

As I had said in my first question,  I have already set the WSUS to download in Foreground pririty using powershell cmdlets. it makes no difference.

Regards

Hamid

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 11:55 PM
  • I found the solution to the WSUS problem yesterday afternoon.

The solution is put a limitation greater or equal to 200kbps and less than 600Kbps. I had tried applying this limitation but with numbers like 2, 100, 1000, 10000 and so on.

I was suspicious of bandwidth effects on the problem so, yesterday with try and error I found this miraculously working range, which I still don’t have an explanation for it J but it works.

• Marked as answer by Hamid Vahidi Thursday, December 8, 2016 10:18 PM
    • Edited by Hamid Vahidi Friday, January 6, 2017 4:22 AM
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 10:18 PM