Default profile - new thread RRS feed

• Question

•  

OK, Here is what happened and what I have done.

"Default profile" refers to the a user account on the computer created from within Steady State that I eventually will export to a profile to be loaded on each machine.

Loaded Steady state.

Created a user in steady state, lets say - account is called "horse" - this will eventually be exported as the "default profile"

Started to get “Element not found” messages when I tryed to access "horse" to change settings.

It seemed that the profile was corrupt.

Profile was deleted.

All of the users directories were deleted form "Documents and Settings".

Did a restart of the system

User was recreated within Steady State with the same name, "horse"

Did a restart of the System

Login as user "horse"

NO restrictions apply to this user it can delete files, screw up windows files, add diles to the desktop and root of c:.

Created new user withing Steady State called "pony"

Set restrictions for "pony"

Login as "pony"

Restriction settings work fine.

Now for the question - I know if I run into this now, I will definately run into it later.

Why are the settings not being applied to the recreated user "horse".

AND how do I fix it?

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 3:25 PM

Answers

• UNINSTALL AND RE-NSTALL OF STEADY STATE RESOLVED THE PROBLEM.

After I reinstalled Steady Sate "horse was OK. Restrictions were reapplied and running fine.

Somehow the profile was seperated and Steady State would not allow it back in.

Atleast right now I know what to do in the future.

Before we go further, I would like to confirm my understanding is correct:

1. This issue only occurs on account “horse”. This issue is reproducible on account “horse”. Other accounts & newly created accounts work properly.

2. All SteadyState restrictions (such as Start menu restrictions) will not apply on “horse”.

3. Restrictions can be enabled or disabled from SteadyState. However, there is no change from account “horse”.

4. Issue persists after deleting “horse” from SteadyState and then recreate it.

[EVERYTHING ABOVE IS CORRECT]

If there has been any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know. I am also interest in the following background information, would you help me clarify them:

1. When did this issue begin to occur?

[Out of thre blue I was in "horse" and wanted to add another restricion and test the results.

I did a start>shoutdown>restart and logged in as administrator. Opened Steady State and could not access "horse"]

2. Was the current system deployed with Sysprep?

[No it was or is a fresh load of XP PRO SP2. with all updates. and other basic software standardized by out company.]

3. Did this issue also occur after deleting and recreating other account such as "pony"?

[No, other existing accounts or newly created accounts with a name other than "horse" was not affected]

4. What error message is encountered when using SteadyState? Please help me capture a screenshot:

Should have checked the posting before I deleted Steady State.

From previous post....

"Now I am getting "in order to inititialize this profile, the password for "username" must be provided."

And there is a box to enter the password.  It is blank so I hit enter and get a box with a red circle and a white X with an OK button that says Element not found.

--------------

a. Press the Print Screen key on the upper right corner of the keyboard when the error occurs.

b. Open Paint from Start -> All Programs -> Accessories-> Paint.

c. Click Paste on the Edit menu in the Paint program.

d. Save it to Desktop and send it to me at v-shshao@microsoft.com

If there is any update after reinstalling SteadyState, please also post the result.

Friday, September 28, 2007 8:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all, I would like to confirm if you can reproduce this issue on another user profile such as “pony”. If this issue cannot be reproduced, we cannot perform efficient research on this issue. We can only guess what happened in the past. It might be related to the corrupt user profile or incomplete user deletion.

I performed  a local test with the following steps and everything works properly:

------------------

1. Open SteadyState, click “Add a New User” to create a new user “Horse”

2. Horse’s restrictions window opens automatically. [ I am not clear that why you need to “access ‘horse’ to change settings”. Did you import this profile from another place?]

Note: In case your “Horse” profile was imported from another place, I made another test to export/import user “Horse”. However, the following results are identical.

3. Check restriction settings: High Restrictions were configured by default. Click OK.

4. Log off current user and log on “Horse” to check settings [OK]. Restart to check again [OK].

5. Open SteadyState and then “Horse”, click “Delete User” to delete it.

6. Click Start, right click “My Computer” -> Manage. Click Users, make sure “Horse” has been deleted.

7. Open SteadyState and click “Add a New User” to create “Horse” again. Check restrictions again and click OK.

8. Log on as “Horse” to check restrictions. [Everything works]

Please let me know if there is any different within our steps.

Regards,

Thursday, September 27, 2007 10:12 AM
  • Basically "horse" was the corrupt profile that I could not get into.

I deleted the profile as you instructed and when I recreated it none of the restrictions would apply.

Did not matter if it was set to High or somewhere in between.

I could delete anything *** anything.

It was like the security was no linked to the profile.

Then I deleted all reverences to the account from under "documents and settings"

and ran into the same issues when it was recreated.

One thing I did not try was to uninstall Steady State and reinstall it.

I will try that this afternoon.

1. Open SteadyState, click “Add a New User” to create a new user “Horse”

[yes]

2. Horse’s restrictions window opens automatically. [ I am not clear that why you need to “access ‘horse’ to change settings”. Did you import this profile from another place?]

[No it was not imported]

Note: In case your “Horse” profile was imported from another place, I made another test to export/import user “Horse”. However, the following results are identical.

[I did have an exported version that I tried to import - it did not help]

3. Check restriction settings: High Restrictions were configured by default. Click OK.

[Set them to high and did some custom as well - user couls still do anything they wanted]

4. Log off current user and log on “Horse” to check settings [OK]. Restart to check again [OK].

5. Open SteadyState and then “Horse”, click “Delete User” to delete it.

[yes]

6. Click Start, right click “My Computer” -> Manage. Click Users, make sure “Horse” has been deleted.

[yes]

7. Open SteadyState and click “Add a New User” to create “Horse” again. Check restrictions again and click OK.

[yes, but restrictions do not apply to the user when the user has logs in]

8. Log on as “Horse” to check restrictions. [Everything works]

[as above]
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 6:10 PM
  • Hi,

1. This issue only occurs on account “horse”. This issue is reproducible on account “horse”. Other accounts & newly created accounts work properly.

2. All SteadyState restrictions (such as Start menu restrictions) will not apply on “horse”.

3. Restrictions can be enabled or disabled from SteadyState. However, there is no change from account “horse”.

If there has been any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know. I am also interest in the following background information, would you help me clarify them:

3. Did this issue also occurs after deleting and recreating other account such as "pony"?

4. What error message is encountered when using SteadyState? Please help me capture a screenshot:

--------------

a. Press the Print Screen key on the upper right corner of the keyboard when the error occurs.

If there is any update after reinstalling SteadyState, please also post the result.

Regards,

Friday, September 28, 2007 10:30 AM
  • UNINSTALL AND RE-NSTALL OF STEADY STATE RESOLVED THE PROBLEM.

After I reinstalled Steady Sate "horse was OK. Restrictions were reapplied and running fine.

Somehow the profile was seperated and Steady State would not allow it back in.

Atleast right now I know what to do in the future.

[EVERYTHING ABOVE IS CORRECT]

[Out of thre blue I was in "horse" and wanted to add another restricion and test the results.

I did a start>shoutdown>restart and logged in as administrator. Opened Steady State and could not access "horse"]

[No it was or is a fresh load of XP PRO SP2. with all updates. and other basic software standardized by out company.]

3. Did this issue also occur after deleting and recreating other account such as "pony"?

[No, other existing accounts or newly created accounts with a name other than "horse" was not affected]

Should have checked the posting before I deleted Steady State.

From previous post....

"Now I am getting "in order to inititialize this profile, the password for "username" must be provided."

And there is a box to enter the password.  It is blank so I hit enter and get a box with a red circle and a white X with an OK button that says Element not found.

--------------

Friday, September 28, 2007 8:37 PM
  • Thanks for your feedback! It's really a mysterious issue and we haven't met it before.

Regards,

Monday, October 1, 2007 3:16 AM
  • Yep, that's me - murphy's law.

It is actually the second time I have seen this issue - The frst time it happened the notebook, but it had to go gout before I had finished investigating the problem - it was re-imaged and left. (that one was from a ghost image - then "newsid was run. This one is my notebook, I am using now, it has been working fine.

Last week I started to do some "test deployments". I will have 3 units out with SteadyState on and enabled.

I have purposely forgot to do a couple of things just to see how it handles remotely.

Will let you know what othere issues I run into, I have my fingers crossed all goes well.

Monday, October 1, 2007 3:29 PM