The "change user /install" procedure, still matters? RRS feed

• Question

• The change user /install and change user /execute are still in use today?

In moden deployments , like WIn2012, 2016 (and soon 2019), is "change user" commands  useful?

As far as I know, most of the SETUP procedures are detected and treated as TS install procedures automacally

Friday, August 17, 2018 5:46 PM

Answers

• I always use change user /install when installing software on a terminal server no matter the OS.

As you mention most software installers are able to detect if it is a terminal server you are about to install the software on to, however those few scenarios where you get your hands into some older software where this is not the case, it isn't worth the "risk" not to run the command before installing the software.

I always do this when working on a terminal server:

• Open task manager to verify that I am the only user currently logged on
    • Then I disable login via change logon /disable to make sure that noone logs on, when I am doing maintenance or software install
    • Then as mentioned change user /install before installing software and then change user /execute as soon as the installer is done.

I have been doing this for more than 10 years, with no exceptions.

Sunday, August 19, 2018 11:34 AM

All replies

• I always use change user /install when installing software on a terminal server no matter the OS.

As you mention most software installers are able to detect if it is a terminal server you are about to install the software on to, however those few scenarios where you get your hands into some older software where this is not the case, it isn't worth the "risk" not to run the command before installing the software.

I always do this when working on a terminal server:

• Open task manager to verify that I am the only user currently logged on
    • Then I disable login via change logon /disable to make sure that noone logs on, when I am doing maintenance or software install
    • Then as mentioned change user /install before installing software and then change user /execute as soon as the installer is done.

I have been doing this for more than 10 years, with no exceptions.

Sunday, August 19, 2018 11:34 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 2:24 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 24, 2018 1:53 AM