none
Simultaneous SPDIF and Analog audio output RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have realized today that Vista(uses the RealTek drivers) won't output analog and digital simultaneously .. when one is selected (via RealTek Control Panel "set up your speakers"), the other is disabled.

Is this an issue with the RealTek drivers or has Vista changed the way it handles Audio as this functionality work well with XP.  I am now looking for a way to do the same with Vista and are hoping that someone may have a suggestion.

Cheers
    Andrew

Friday, February 23, 2007 7:04 AM

All replies

• I am having the same problem.  I am using the soundmax drivers on the ASUS P5B-VM board.  I need both SPDIF and analog. 

I am very frustrated.

Monday, February 26, 2007 5:48 PM
  • Same problem here. This is VERY frustrating. I want to use my PC for a mix of gaming and playback of high definition video on my HDTV. When I'm gaming, I'm using analogue audio (headphones). If I want to play high definition video, using SPDIF out to my receiver, I have to manually open control panel and select the default audio device to SPDIF out before I get any sound. On Windows XP, I did nothing - the application would allow me to just switch between analogue and digital.
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 6:02 AM
  • Hello Techies,

I also migrated from XP MCE to Vista in experimental environment. I;m using the analogue output in the study room. A fibre SPIF cable is running to the living. So we have the same internet Radio in the living and in the Study.

Now with Vista I only have music in the study or music in the living.

Is someone convincing Realtek or Microsoft to adjust this in a future Realtek sound driver release?

Regards Tom

Saturday, March 31, 2007 3:00 PM
  • I have the same problem, I have a MSI RS-482 IL/D mobo Realtek on board, hope for a sulution son!
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 11:49 AM
  • Has this been solved? Will it ever been solved? I was hoping to find a new driver in this thread, apperntly Microsoft or Realtek are not willing to help us..

Regards Tom

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 11:20 AM
  • Seriously, someone from Microsoft needs to at least aknowledge that this problem exists and say if they intend to address it. 

If I have to buy a cheap receiver just to convert the audio to stereo and send it to an analog zone (headphones, zone 2, whatever) that sucks but I'll do it.  

On the other hand, tell me an update is coming to restore this basic funtionallity and I'll wait quietly and patiently.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 7:09 PM
  •  

Her is the solution, only thing that my reciver dont decode the sound stream as a clean SPDIF signal but if you want simultanius sound from your TV and from your reciver it works! http://neosmart.net/downloads/guides/Vista_Sound/rtkhdaud.zip it a smal DAT-fil that works!

the thread is from the grennbutton http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/8/207356/ShowThread.aspx

Monday, September 10, 2007 5:55 PM
  • I have the same problem with SigmaTel HD Audio.  Want simultaneous toslink and analog signals from my Home Theater PC to my AV receiver since zone 2 of my receiver will only send the analog signal.

Friday, October 5, 2007 10:51 PM
  •  Anonymous564021 wrote:

Her is the solution, only thing that my reciver dont decode the sound stream as a clean SPDIF signal but if you want simultanius sound from your TV and from your reciver it works! http://neosmart.net/downloads/guides/Vista_Sound/rtkhdaud.zip it a smal DAT-fil that works!

the thread is from the grennbutton http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/8/207356/ShowThread.aspx

This didnt work in my case (x64 vista).. still only get analog audio when analog is the default, not both..

I'm running the p5n-t deluxe.

Sunday, June 22, 2008 3:10 AM
  • Just when you think ther are improvements......Back to media center?? ....Audio converters??.....Perhaps a true multimedia system is more flexable such as linux or Xbox??? (or did Xbox get vista?). Damn they (macs, linux, ms) all have there weeknesses but a diligent person can at least make it possible in Linux. Us peeons have to beg Microsoft to be able to do what we were doing so's we can do it again. I mean didn't the audio in vista pass the stupid test (I.E. That's stupid!!!! ) 10 seconds into seting up the audio like with me. Yeah first I thought it is the sound card/driver but noooooo it's clearly a VISTA issue) 

Does anyone have anything reasonable to fix this issue. Ya know a sound card for up to $100 or even a non-Microsoft software solution that is reliable? I am starting to believe that mac guy.......I need some Tea....
    Sunday, August 31, 2008 2:18 PM
  • This is the reason I still have not switched from XP to Vista.  It is no problem for me to switch between default output, but my wife and kids will no doubt have to call me anytime they want to stop gaming and watch a movie.  In XP this works perfectly.  I just turn of the speakers and turn on my reciever.  Simple as that.  Want to shut up the Mac guy try addressing this issue.  Until this issue is fixed I will keep using XP.

Monday, December 1, 2008 4:55 AM
  • Just put a new computer together and using Vista Ultimate 64 bit with Realtek onboard sound.   SPDIF only puts out PCM stereo unless it's a DVD player with passthrough.  Games, TV tuners that worked on xp in 5.1 don't in Vista.   If I had known this I would not have gone to Vista.  I certainly can't reccommend it to anyone at this point.  Is there a fix or a software encoder that can do this with the Vista Sound System?
    Friday, January 30, 2009 4:57 AM
  • For Realtek onboard device users (sorry everyone else): Simultaneous SPIDF/Analog works just dandy and with no additional config in Vista 64 (also worked on Vista 32) as long as you DO NOT USE THE MICROSOFT SUPPLIED DRIVER! In my case I have an A8N Deluxe so I get the Realtek driver from Asus. Further, I also have a Y-splitter on the SPIDF cable going to 2 separate tuners so I can also say that works. In total my PC drives 20 speakers throughout my house (analog 5.1 speaker set, digital 5.1 tuner and 4 stereo pairs on a 7.1 tuner). If I don't watch my MS updates carefully and let their Realtek driver slip through however it all comes crashing down and I have to roll back the driver to get it working again.
    Monday, February 16, 2009 9:42 PM
  • The lack of simultaneous analog & digital audio within Vista has been a problem for me since day 1 of purchasing a new pc with Vista pre-installed (especially as I specifically purchased the pc for use as an entertainment centre).

I contacted all parties with regards to the issue:

The PC manufacturer initially did not understand or recognise the problem, but eventually came back blaming Microsoft and were therefore no longer interested (fair enough I suppose).

The sound card manufacturer also blames Microsoft and have no plans of releasing their own drivers to get around the problem and are therefore not interested in resolving the issue.

I have had much correspondence with Microsoft regarding the issue. After eventually getting to a support agent who actually understood the problem, it now looks like Microsoft have no plans of ever giving us this functionality in Vista. The last word from Microsoft was to wait for windows 7 and buy that - HOWEVER as of yet, windows 7 does not support simultaneous audio either.

As for me, after 2 years of waiting for a Vista fix from Microsoft, I am still using windows XP for all my media needs, as XP is the only OS than can do all the things I need. I think it’s a shame the Vista (which does have many good points) just cannot do what XP does so well. As it stands, Vista has been a complete and utter waste of money for me. Shame on Microsoft......

Fustrated Vista User
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 9:38 PM
  •  If anybody wants windows 7 to feature simultaneous digital & analog audio output, then vote for it here:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/76
    Its not had many votes as of yet, so do spread the word........
    Fustrated Vista User
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 9:48 PM
  • alecbritton ,
    I went to RealTek's website and downloaded several versions of their Vista 64-bit drivers.  None of the recent ones that are archived there did the trick.  Could you kindly please post the version number and/or date of the driver?  On my PC, The Realtek "High Definition Audio" driver serves the optical, coaxial, and stereo outputs.  Unfortunately, I still have to pick one.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:11 PM
    • Proposed as answer by monaro69 Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:16 AM
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:15 AM
  • I've struggled with this for a few hours and here's what I discovered.  Some of this has probably already been discussed, but I'll list it all here anyway:

1. Windows XP will output sound to more than one audio device
    2. Vista and Windows 7 will not (which is why we're having this discussion)
    3. It is possible, in some applications, to workaround this problem by setting the output device directly from the application.  For example, I can set the Windows 7 default device to SPDIF and have Windows Media Player send its signal to the speakers (Options\Devices\Speakers\Properties).  Magically, Windows Media Player playback now occurs through both the default output device (SPDIF) and the speakers.  [Which leads me to believe that what we want Windows 7 do wouldn't be difficult to implement.]
    4. Sadly, this doesn't work for applications that don't allow you to define the output device.  Like iTunes  :-(
    5. Another workaround for my application (I want to output audio to two separate AV receivers) is to use a product like M-Audio's new "Transit" USB device or their older (but sweet sounding) Audiophile 2496 PCI card.  Both of these devices allow simultaneous analog stereo and SPDIF output.  I have the 2496 card in another computer and I've confirmed that it works in Windows 7; I've read elsewhere that the Transit also works.  I'm only interested in stereo right now.  I'm not sure how these products would do with 7.1 audio.
    6. A third way to do what I want to do is to use a splitter on the SPDIF output.  I haven't tried this, but I'm tempted.  The card I presently have in the machine is a Xonar DS with an optical SPDIF output (TOSLINK).  RiteAV sells an optical splitter and TOSLINK amplifier that might work.  I've heard that the optical splitters weaken the signal, but maybe with the amplifier I could get it to work.  I have a long run to the second AV receiver and I'm worried that the signal will be too weak when it reaches the other end.  If I get this to work, I'll post an update.
    7. A fourth way to do it, which seems more complicated but which may also be more flexible is to use an application called Virtual Audio Cable.  I haven't tried this, either.  But here's a link to the discussion: http://forums.techarena.in/xp-hardware/608236.htm

Good luck to all.

Len
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 3:02 PM
  • As promised, here's an update on the optical splitter.  It's working!  I'm using the following equipment from RiteAV.com with an ASUS Xonar DS soundcard:

2 x ULTRA - Digital Optical Cable 1.5 ft. (116905) = $6.58
    1 x ULTRA - Digital Optical Cable 75 ft. (116970) = $19.99
    1 x Toslink Splitter (196420) = $3.79

The TOSLINK output from the card goes through the 1.5 ft cable to the splitter.  Another 1.5 ft cable carries half of the signal to an adjacent Yamaha HTR, and the 75ft cable carries the other half to a Yamaha HTR in another room.  It works flawlessly without additional amplification.

For those who are interested, here's a link to another discussion about simultaneious SPDIF and analog output in Windows 7:

http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/76#comment-27944

Saturday, April 24, 2010 8:24 PM
  • An optical splitter doesn't help for those of us who want to use the Zone2 on our home theater receiver or pre-amp.  Most pre-amps do not support down sampling of digital audio to use for the 2nd audio zone.  What this means is that I cannot listen to my HTPC with Win7 inside (main zone) and out by the pool (zone2) at the same time, and without changing the default audio device.  This is totally unacceptable and MS needs to fix it if they want to get any acceptance in HTPCs.

http://www.RichterConsulting.net

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:08 PM
  • HEY, THANK YOU SO MUCH anonymus564021 because IT IS WORKING IN MY CASE! all of you who have realtek drivers should do the same thing as Anonymous56402 suggested! THANK YOU AGAIN!
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:43 PM