Using Transform in sequencing Adobe Reader X RRS feed

• Question

• I'm testing App-V 4.6 SP1 via SCCM. As a test I tried Adobe Reader X 11.0.1

I normally create a custom Vbscript that does the install and makes any changes to registry or ini files etc. so I though easy way is to simply run that VBscript as I would through SCCM with the real package. However it seems to falter because of the virtual Q drive requirement. I have also had a look at App-V 5 and this doesn't appear to be an issue here

With Adobe I use the Adobe customisation wizard to create a Transform - which doesn't work here presumably because it references the C drive. If I run the MSI during the sequencer then that's ok and I select the Q drive folder for the installation directory. Problem is with this is that I've lost any customisation made via the Adobe Customisation Wizard/transform - so how do I get round this?

I appreciate perhaps Adobe Reader isn't the best test but it does kick up the question of custom transforms with msi files. I guess any specific customisations to reg keys or ini files would have to be made after the fact in the sequencer

Thanks

Ian Burnell, London (UK)

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Ian,

Firstly for Adobe Reader 11. Adobe have released information on how to sequence this: HERE

Also there's a great post on sequencing Adobe Reader X: HERE

Personally during the sequence I would install to C:\ rather than Q:\

On the topic of using an MST for setting custom settings. You could do this but you would need to ensure whatever it is you are setting through the MST is not set in the virtual package. The way your app will work is, when it launches it looks in the virtual environment for what it needs, if it does not find it there, it will look to the local machine. SO, if you set it with an MST it will get install outside the virtual environment and can be seen as long as it's not in the virtual environment.

If you want it changed dynaimcally for some reason, you could look at using a pre-script so whatever it is you want to change, changes on launch. Or if it doesn't need to be a dynamic change you could just install all together during the one capture and make sure it all goes to C:\ and not Q:\

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 3:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Ian,

Firstly for Adobe Reader 11. Adobe have released information on how to sequence this: HERE

Also there's a great post on sequencing Adobe Reader X: HERE

Personally during the sequence I would install to C:\ rather than Q:\

On the topic of using an MST for setting custom settings. You could do this but you would need to ensure whatever it is you are setting through the MST is not set in the virtual package. The way your app will work is, when it launches it looks in the virtual environment for what it needs, if it does not find it there, it will look to the local machine. SO, if you set it with an MST it will get install outside the virtual environment and can be seen as long as it's not in the virtual environment.

If you want it changed dynaimcally for some reason, you could look at using a pre-script so whatever it is you want to change, changes on launch. Or if it doesn't need to be a dynamic change you could just install all together during the one capture and make sure it all goes to C:\ and not Q:\

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 3:11 PM
  • Thanks - great information

I appreciate in the real world you probably would never virtualise Adobe Reader but its a useful test. In actual fact you can use a Transform. Using Aaron's example I created a second MST file for with the installation directory set to Q drive. I also needed to created an install.cmd to reference the msi and mst on the sequencing machine. This worked fine

Are there any good web resources for capturing streaming apps? - stealthpuppy looks a good start - does itninja have anything?

Ian Burnell, London (UK)

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:04 AM