none
Changing CustomSettings.ini Variable to SkipBuild=NO Causing Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I am taking a deployment that has already been created and making modifications by adding two task sequences. The original deployment only has a single wipe & load task sequence. I am adding sequences for partitioning.

Anyway, before I even get to adding task sequences I am running into trouble. CustomSettings.ini has SkipBuild=YES because initially there is only one task sequence. Doesn't need the window to come up and ask which task you want. It goes right into selecting computer name, time zone, administrator password, all that good stuff. I change SkipBuild=NO to get the task sequences window to display. As soon as I select on and click Next, it jumps past the other screens that should be coming up.

Variables SkipComputerName=NO and SkipTimeZone=NO are both set as such - so I'm confused as to why it is skipping this screen.

I am using MDT 2012 v6.1.2369. Same exact build that was used to create the original deployment. So there is no upgrading or changing of files when I open the existing deployment. With the above problem, the deployment will finish, but there is no way to log in because (as far as I know) no user accounts are being created. A custom Admin account should be created during the deployment.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:19 PM

All replies

• What happens if you just remove SkipBuild from the CustomSettings.ini completely?  No is the default value, so you shouldn't need to declare it.  If that doesn't work, please post your customsettings.ini so we can see if there may be something else impacting the logic.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:40 PM
    Answerer
  • I have a ticket open with Microsoft tech support via our MSDN account and this was the first thing he had me do. Didn't make a difference. It still skips the other screens. Here is my CustomSettings.ini file. My main curiosity is what WinXAdminPassword and SkipWinXAdminPassword does. It appears to be custom, and added by the department who created this deployment in the first place. I have submitted a question to them as to what this is/does.

[Settings]
    Priority=DEFAULT
    Properties=WinXAdminPassword, SkipWinXAdminPassword

[Default]
    KeyboardLocale= 0409:00000409
    OSInstall=Y
    UserDataLocation=NONE
    _SMSTSOrgName= Standard Desktop Configuration
    BuildID=SDC-3401-NX86-ST

ApplyGPOPack=NO
    HideShell=YES
    DoNotCreateExtraPartition=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipApplications=YES
    SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipBuild=YES
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipComputerName=NO
    SkipDeploymentType=YES
    SkipDomainMembership=NO
    SkipFinalSummary=YES
    SkipOSRoles=YES
    SkipOSFeatures=YES
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipRoles=YES
    SkipSummary=YES
    SkipTimeZone=NO
    SkipUserData=YES

SkipWinXAdminPassword=NO

FinishAction=RESTART

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:18 PM
  • Yes, those are custom variables.  I'd do a search of the %DeployRoot%\Scripts folder to see if any of the default scripts have been modified for those two values and then check the conditions on the steps in your Task Sequence to understand where they might be used.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:15 PM
    Answerer
  • I did a search for WinXAdminPassword in the Deploy folder (parent of Scripts) and didn't find any default scripts that were modified using that variable. I found a few new scripts though. There is an XML file that describes a deploy wizard page that takes the custom admin password from a user, and a vbs script that validates it against company rules. But I can't seem to find anything that would cause those pages to be skipped when SkipBuild=NO.

I did find this in ZTIGather.xml though:

<!-- CUSTOM -->
     <!--
     <property id="WinXAdminPassword" type="string" overwrite="false" description="The password for the WinX_Admin account" />
     <property id="SkipWinXAdminPassword" type="string" overwrite="false" description="Flag to skip the WinX_Admin User Account Password wizard page (if set to YES, default is blank)" />
     -->

But as you can see, SkipWinXAdminPassword is being explicitly set to NO in CustomSettings.ini.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:53 PM
  • Yeah, that's just the property definition.  If it's not in the script folder, then it must be used somewhere in the conditions in the Task Sequence (or maybe even an Application script during the Task Sequence).

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:20 PM
    Answerer
  • Do you have a custom admin password wizard page that requires a strong password during the LTI wizard pages? If that is the case this deployment share has customized wizard pages.  

I only offer this suggestion because it sounds very familiar to a deployment share that we frequently have to work on as a hardware vendor.   If that is the case I would look into restoring the default wizard files in the script folder which should restore normal MDT functionality.

MDT Task Sequence Duplicator https://panaconsulting.egnyte.com/h-s/20130614/61707be809944999 Application Bundle Duplicator https://panaconsulting.egnyte.com/h-s/20130614/405e7d64e5d54610

Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:32 AM
  • Do you have a custom admin password wizard page that requires a strong password during the LTI wizard pages? If that is the case this deployment share has customized wizard pages.  

Yes, it does contain a custom admin password wizard page. There is also a custom piece of code in the deployment that goes through and validates it against a higher password requirements standard.
    Monday, June 24, 2013 5:13 PM
  • I am facing similar problem at my side.

My problem was summary window opened at the very end of task sequence even if I put SkipSummary=YES and SkipFinalSummary=YES in Customsettings.ini file.

This problem only happed if HDD has a partition with formated. If I HDD is clean,  there is no problem.

For my research, MDT try to create Variables.DAT in existing partition if available. And if my task sequence removed this partiotin, settings are lost at the next reboot.

My workaround is to set these variables as an new task in task sequence. This is not a smart, but works.

Hope it helps. 

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 2:11 AM
  • My problem was summary window opened at the very end of task sequence even if I put SkipSummary=YES and SkipFinalSummary=YES in Customsettings.ini file.

Blows my mind how little sense MDT makes at times. You set all the SkipSummary variables to YES, shows summary screens. I'm still hopelessly stuck on this end.
    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:22 PM