Windows 7 can't access local share via DFS RRS feed

• Question

• So here's the situation: I have several PC that access multiple shares via a single domain-hosted DFS namespace called 'Multimedia'. I had two servers (call them Server1 and Server2) running Server 2008 SP2 which served the namespace, and each of the servers also hosted some of the file shares listed in the namespace.

I decided for unrelated reasons to reformat Server2 and install Windows 7 instead. After doing so, I reconfigured the shares on the new Windows 7 box and re-added them to the name space which was still hosted on Server1.I also had to delete the old "Server2" reference from the 'Namespace server' tab since it no longer existed.

The problem is that when using the Windows 7 box, I cannot access it's own shares via the DFS namespace--Explorer returns the error: "V:\Projects is not accessible. Network access is denied."

I feel that this is not a simple permissions issue with the share or file system, because the very same shares are accessible via UNC or IP address (e.g. \\Windows7\Projects). The shares are also accessible via the DFS namespace when using a DIFFERENT computer (I connected successfully from the remaining Server 2008 box, XP boxes, and another Windows 7 box).

I have tried creating a separate "stand-alone" namespace on Server1 and adding the same shares to that namespace--but I experienced the exact same symptoms.

I have also run 'dfsutil /pktinfo' and confirmed that the entries for the affected shares are pointing to the Windows 7 box.

All this leads me to 2 possibilities:

1. That there is a setting on Windows 7 which prevents redirects back to itself--similar to the DNS Alias issue (BackConnectionHostNames) mentioned here: http://serverfault.com/questions/23823/how-to-configure-windows-machine-to-allow-file-sharing-with-dns-alias

2. Since these shares previously existed on another server, perhaps Server1 still has some pointer/permissions which refer back to the non-existent Server2????

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 11:45 PM

Answers

• I had the same Problem on my Win7-Box and figgured out there's a setting since XP-SP2 that must be set to access local shares through DFS.

In registry move to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Mup\Parameters, create a DWORD entry named EnableDfsLoopbackTargets, set it to 1 and reboot the machine. That should work.

• Marked as answer by jtlarson Tuesday, August 10, 2010 11:37 PM
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Add Domain Users as Full Control to the DFSlink under DFSroots folder as a test.

Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:39 AM
  • I granted Domain Users "Full Control" to the DFSlink Share permissions and also the security permissions.

Neither action produced any change in the described behavior.

In a separate test, I also added a share from a (DIFFERENT) Windows 7 laptop on the same domain to the "Multimedia" namespace.The result was the same: All computers (including the Windows 7 box mentioned in my previous post) can access the shared folder on this new Windows 7 laptop, or via direct UNC access; but it cannot access it's own share via the DFS namespace.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:00 PM
  • Any further suggestions?
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:16 PM
  • Hi,

I can reproduce the same result. It seems that it is a default setting and/or a Windows 7 limitation as DFS is not for client computers.

I also found another thread with the same issue:

DFS root/link permission access problems

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverfiles/thread/6674469b-14d8-4aeb-8352-f5fab910d34e

Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 8:49 AM
  • "It seems that it is a default setting and/or a Windows 7 limitation as DFS is not for client computers."

Can you point to any documentation which expands on this claim?

AFAICT, my use of the DFS namespaces is entirely consistent with Microsoft's own documentation--I am not expecting the Windows 7 box to run DFS, just to be able to access particular shares on a DFS namespace hosted on Windows Server 2008. 

Quote from technet: "If you want to give users a single place to locate data, but you want to host data on different servers for availability and performance purposes, you can deploy a namespace."

None of the Microsoft documentation regarding DFS namespaces stipulates any OS requirements for the systems providing the UNC shares included in a namespace--all the documentation mentions is a UNC share, which Windows 7 is perfectly capable of providing.

Regarding http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverfiles/thread/6674469b-14d8-4aeb-8352-f5fab910d34e

I have previously found the linked thread, but it was marked as answered without ever providing an answer/solution to the problem at hand.

So I'm still looking for a solution--or at least a better explanation--as to why Windows 7 can't access it's own share via DFS, but works fine as a basic UNC...

Monday, August 9, 2010 7:41 PM
  • I had the same Problem on my Win7-Box and figgured out there's a setting since XP-SP2 that must be set to access local shares through DFS.

In registry move to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Mup\Parameters, create a DWORD entry named EnableDfsLoopbackTargets, set it to 1 and reboot the machine. That should work.

• Marked as answer by jtlarson Tuesday, August 10, 2010 11:37 PM
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:21 AM
  • FridolinSm,

Your posted fix works perfectly on XP SP3 and Windows 7 64bit. Thanks for posting it!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 11:39 PM
  • Ditto! I wasted hours trying to figure this one out!

The registry entry solved the problem perfectly for me.

My situation was as follows. I have a small office nearby where my servers live. I recently moved the office out of my home and into a regular office location.

I had my wife and kids set up with My Documents and Desktop folder redirection through DFS. It still worked once I moved the office (I have a VPN router at the home location linking us to the office), but since all their data lived on a server at another location, opening documents was often painfully slow.

I had the bright idea of setting up a local hidden share on a new Windows 7 Pro machine and adding that location to DFS so their files would live on the local network (note - I will be setting up a modest server at home at some point, but I needed a workaround until then).

Bafflingly, every user on every machine could access the DFS folder EXCEPT for users on the machine where the share was located! Of course this machine, being brand new, is the one they all want to use.

After much head banging and researching of other options (running virtual server 2005 SP1 under Windows 7 -- possible but problematic and not supported; firing up a retired server from a client and reworking it to be a server in our home -- possible but a lot of work), I finally located these series of posts. The registry fix to enable DFS loopback solved the problem perfectly.

Thanks everyone, for these posts.

San Rafael, CA 11/12/2011

Saturday, November 12, 2011 5:35 PM
  • I battled with this for sometime on a new installation.

I was lucky enough to find the solution here:

Windows 7 cannot access network shares via DFS namespace

I hope it helps

• Proposed as answer by A. TheOne Monday, June 11, 2012 2:53 PM
    Monday, June 11, 2012 2:53 PM