Cannot restart the taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• In short:

I'm running into a problem where I can't restart the taskbar; after killing explorer.exe, running new instances of explorer.exe opens up windows explorer instead of restarting the taskbar. How can I restart the taskbar after killing it?

In full:

I'm using a workaround to fix graphics issues with Age of Empires and I can't get my taskbar back after closing the game. The graphics issue at hand is that windows aero conflicts with the games graphics and messes up the colors. The workaround is to run the game with a batch file that kills explorer when you start the game and restarts explorer when you close the game. This is the batch file I'm using:
    taskkill /F /IM Explorer.exe
    age2_x1.exe
    start Explorer.exe
    The problem that I have is that after closing the game, when the batch file runs explorer.exe, it opens up a windows explorer window instead of restoring the taskbar. The problem has also exhibited strange behavior in that it developed over time: the first few times I used the batch file, it functioned as intended; the next few times, it didn't restart the taskbar and I had to run explorer.exe out of task manager in order to restart the taskbar; now, I can't get the taskbar back without logging in and logging out.

Any idea what the problem might be?
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 4:35 PM

Answers

• That is because the command “start explorer.exe” will run after AOE2 is launched, but not after you close the game. You need to start explorer.exe after the game is end. The batch file will not work as you expect.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:31 AM
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:06 AM

All replies

• Hi, Dodokiller88:

When you run your script, does Windows Explorer open in any particular folder, for example, the Libraries folder?

Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 9:34 PM
    Answerer
  • Something doesn't quite add up here. Explorer.exe does not control Aero more so than any other app, why are you killing it ?
    Once you restart it, do you also get the desktop back?

Alexander Sklar| Software Development Engineer
    http://blogs.msdn.com/asklar
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, September 27, 2009 12:40 AM
    Answerer
  • That is because the command “start explorer.exe” will run after AOE2 is launched, but not after you close the game. You need to start explorer.exe after the game is end. The batch file will not work as you expect.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:31 AM
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:06 AM