Update a Sharepoint 2007 Authorization group from a SharePoint list RRS feed

• Question

• I am going to create a new site collection in SP 2007.  On the site I create there is going to be a list of users and in the list it will show what Authorization group they belong to.  When I add a new row to the list I want to update the group it should belong to.  Is this possible to do without coding? 
    William Klein
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, September 16, 2011 6:06 AM If it needs coding what would it be? removed. That's a question for the programming forum. Ask it there when you find here there is no OOB solution
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, September 16, 2011 6:07 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, September 16, 2011 12:25 AM

Answers

• Hi William,

From your description, I understand that you want to create a list of users, show Authorization group as a column, and update the group in the list, if I have any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

If so, there is no out of the box way to achieve this as expected, users in SharePoint access to Web sites, lists, folders, and list items is controlled through a role-based membership system by which users are assigned to roles that authorize their access to Windows SharePoint Services objects, this is different from common list.

To manage users in SharePoint, you can use command and HTML Administration pages, please refer to the following link for more information:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc768001.aspx

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:32 AM

All replies

• Are these Users internal or external? Probably you are looking for Form Based Authentication. Please Confirm

Warm Regards Vishal Joshi| Senior SharePoint Administrator| http://sharepoint2007administration.blogspot.com/
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:57 AM
  • Vicky they are internal users. 

William Klein
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Hi William,

From your description, I understand that you want to create a list of users, show Authorization group as a column, and update the group in the list, if I have any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

If so, there is no out of the box way to achieve this as expected, users in SharePoint access to Web sites, lists, folders, and list items is controlled through a role-based membership system by which users are assigned to roles that authorize their access to Windows SharePoint Services objects, this is different from common list.

To manage users in SharePoint, you can use command and HTML Administration pages, please refer to the following link for more information:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc768001.aspx

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:32 AM
  • I know there is no out of the box solution.  I was looking for a suggestion for a custom solution

William Klein
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:15 PM