Set Up Language of Site specifically for users RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All, 

I just had a quick question. Is it possible to set up the language of a site based on specific users? By this, I mean, the default language is English, but a specific user is in Germany and speaks German. Is it possible to allow that user to see German language on the site and just allow users to set a language of the site specifically for them?

Chris

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:12 PM

Answers

• Yes, this is possible.

If you want only the SharePoint user interface to appear in German (or any other language), you need to install the German language pack. Same goes for any other language. Each user can specify in their regional settings what language they wish to use.

If you're looking for all content in the site to be in German, this is a bit more difficult since you'll need to translate all the content. If this is what you want to do I recommend starting with Microsoft Senior Escalation Engineer Stefan Goßner's series: SharePoint Variations – The complete Guide

Edit: I just realized this is the legacy forum. Variations apply only to SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint 2013, so if you're asking about an earlier version Variations are out.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:55 PM

All replies

• Any ideas on this one? Seems pretty straightforward and I'm guessing there's no easy way to do it, but I just wanted to confirm.
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:39 PM
  • Yes, this is possible.

If you want only the SharePoint user interface to appear in German (or any other language), you need to install the German language pack. Same goes for any other language. Each user can specify in their regional settings what language they wish to use.

If you're looking for all content in the site to be in German, this is a bit more difficult since you'll need to translate all the content. If this is what you want to do I recommend starting with Microsoft Senior Escalation Engineer Stefan Goßner's series: SharePoint Variations – The complete Guide

Edit: I just realized this is the legacy forum. Variations apply only to SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint 2013, so if you're asking about an earlier version Variations are out.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:55 PM