none
The best network design RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys, I just want to hear your opinions about the following project.

We have a main office with 50users + 7 branches with 35 users each.  This branches are located between 200 and 600kms away from the main office. These branches are connected using vpn running with internet 3g or satellite. (someday is really poor connection)

At the moment they have 1 domain controller + this roles (dns,dhcp,fs) in each location windows 2003, in the main office is the exchange server.   My first idea is servers will be migrated to Windows 2008 r2 standard, and we are planning to deploy 3 servers core for the furthest location. And exchange 2010 enterprise.

the only important requirement is that users in the branches can work in any of them (they often move to a different location), so is roaming profile, the only way to get this done?.

Any change to have a better design.  Also in this particular scenario how can virtualization help me?

Thanks for your reply

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:52 AM

Answers

• HI

i think better have 1 domain controller in main,and in branches RODC,maybe exchange mailbox will be a problem for ur link.but i dont think will be an issue.

overview

1 Domain controller in main(Server 2008 better)

1 Exchange Server+SLQ Server normally in the main

7 RODC in branches

i think this is the best solution u have now.

good luck

Renato Kurti CCNA,MCP,MCTS,MCITP
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Tuesday, March 8, 2011 12:15 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2011 3:52 PM
  • I agree with Renato.  Domain controller in main and Read Only Domain Controllers in other sites. You can use exchange server but you should configure it with offline capabilities with RPC over HTTPS due to the slow link.  You might also want to consider going to the cloud for your exchange.  This is actually a perfect scenario for moving that workload to the cloud.

Virtualization... Virtualization actually could be a great addition to your network because you could use technologies like RemoteApp or App-V to deliver services to your users.  Not sure what applications they are using but leveraging Virtualization and Cloud may be beneficial.  Also, Remote Desktop would probably use less bandwidth than VPN and would not limit your security.  It would also offer many other benefits like being able to work from home (if you want to allow that) With Remote Desktop (Session based computing probably best) you would not have to worry about roaming as the profile would be on the server.  However, this is bad if you lose all connectivity as they would not be able to work at all.  However, if you could get a better Internet connection to each site, it would solve all problems and greatly expand your options.

Monday, March 7, 2011 4:44 PM

All replies

• HI

i think better have 1 domain controller in main,and in branches RODC,maybe exchange mailbox will be a problem for ur link.but i dont think will be an issue.

overview

1 Domain controller in main(Server 2008 better)

1 Exchange Server+SLQ Server normally in the main

7 RODC in branches

i think this is the best solution u have now.

good luck

Renato Kurti CCNA,MCP,MCTS,MCITP
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Tuesday, March 8, 2011 12:15 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2011 3:52 PM
  • I agree with Renato.  Domain controller in main and Read Only Domain Controllers in other sites. You can use exchange server but you should configure it with offline capabilities with RPC over HTTPS due to the slow link.  You might also want to consider going to the cloud for your exchange.  This is actually a perfect scenario for moving that workload to the cloud.

Virtualization... Virtualization actually could be a great addition to your network because you could use technologies like RemoteApp or App-V to deliver services to your users.  Not sure what applications they are using but leveraging Virtualization and Cloud may be beneficial.  Also, Remote Desktop would probably use less bandwidth than VPN and would not limit your security.  It would also offer many other benefits like being able to work from home (if you want to allow that) With Remote Desktop (Session based computing probably best) you would not have to worry about roaming as the profile would be on the server.  However, this is bad if you lose all connectivity as they would not be able to work at all.  However, if you could get a better Internet connection to each site, it would solve all problems and greatly expand your options.

Monday, March 7, 2011 4:44 PM