none
DPM Agent deploy on Dell Poweredge = no boot RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried nearly everything I can think of at this point so I'm coming to the forum.  I've got a Dell Poweredge 2950 with a PERC 5/i controller.  I'm using the latest firmware and drivers for this (as well as previous versions). The server is also running the latest BIOS, embedded management firmware, etc.

The server is running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise (32bit) with SP2 and all the latest updates.  It's also got an instance of SQL 2005 on it, it's a major production server so I have limited windows to reboot (mostly weekends).

I can push install the DPM Agent from my DPM server or I can install it manually on the server itself.  In either case the agent installs without issues.  As a sanity check for any software install, I always reboot a server to make sure there are no surprises come next Microsoft patch Tuesday.

In all cases, installation of the DPM agent creates an unbootable server.  The system fires up and gets to the Microsoft Windows splash screen with the horizontal animated bar at the bottom and sits there stuck indefinitely.  Normally this takes all of 8-10 seconds on this server before the screen blanks, turns light blue and continues the normal boot process.  I've let it set for 30 minutes as a sanity check--it doesn't come up.  The animation does not stop, so it's not like a hard freeze. Clearly something is waiting for something else to happen.

I force a reboot and go to last-known-good, and the server comes up fine.  This of course does the equivalent of uninstalling the hooks of the DPM Agent to the system.  

There is nothing in the system log related to this because the system doesn't get boot to the point where the system log is fired up. I think there is some sort of interaction between the DPM Agent and the storage subsystem and it's not started, and since that's not started there are no drives to talk to to save log information.  

Where can I go from here? At this point I cannot get the agent to install. Any other installs work fine on the machine, the system log is very clean and it's in general a very healthy server.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist,

Vo

Monday, January 24, 2011 4:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you have not done so already and are still experiencing the no boot issue, I would recommend you open a support ticket for this issue.

Marc

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you have not done so already and are still experiencing the no boot issue, I would recommend you open a support ticket for this issue.

Marc

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Sorry Marc, I missed your response (yes, still having the issue).  To clarify, support ticket with Microsoft?

Monday, March 21, 2011 6:21 PM