Trying to retrieve AD Object properties using the Get-ADuser cmdlet with piped input in the -Identity Parameter RRS feed

• Question

• Here is the following PowerShell command I am trying to run but keep getting errors and I am not sure what is missing

$sAMAccountName=Import-csv -path Z:\PowerShellScripts\Input\username.csv | get-aduser -Identity {$sAMAccountName} -Properties LastlogonDate,Enable

The Goal is to find the LastlogonDate and Enabled Status of a list of users I was supplied by an application owner

The .csv file is formatted:

sAMAccountName

stmAdairB
    mhhAdamsM
    tmcAllenK
    tmcAllisH
    dhlaltger
    mmcAlvarM

Here is the error I receive in PowerShell:

Get-ADUser : Cannot evaluate parameter 'Identity' because its argument input did not produce any output.

At line:1 char:97

+ ... user -Identity {$sAMAccountName} -Properties LastlogonDate,Enabled

+                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (@{sAMAccountName=wrigc}:PSObject) [Get-ADUser], ParameterBindingException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ScriptBlockArgumentNoOutput,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.Commands.GetADUser

Any help would be greatly appreciated just haven't had any luck finding the info I need through searches

Roland Robinson Roland.Robinson@highpoint-solutions.com

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 5:01 PM

Answers

• That error is indicative of the fact that you are not passing a string value to the Identity parameter, but rather a hashtable as referenced by the @{}. You have a collection of sAMAccountName values coming from your CSV that you need to extract. The corrected version is below. Also note that "Enable" is not a valid property. It's "Enabled".

$sAMAccountNames = Import-csv -path Z:\PowerShellScripts\Input\username.csv 
    $sAMAccountNames | % { Get-ADUser -Identity $_.sAMAccountName -Properties LastlogonDate,Enabled }

Thursday, May 1, 2014 2:29 PM

All replies

• That doesn't look like a CSV file. A CSV file would normally look like this:

"sAMAccountName"
    "stmAdairB"
    "mhhAdamsM"
    "tmcAllenK"
    "tmcAllisH"
    "dhlaltger"
    "mmcAlvarM"

Then you would also do this:

import-csv yourcsvfile.csv | foreach-object { get-aduser $_.sAMAccountName -properties LastLogonDate }

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

• Edited by Bill_Stewart Thursday, May 1, 2014 3:18 PM Omitted object property
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 5:04 PM
  • Thanks but I added the quotation marks but still receive same error

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 5:07 PM
  • See my revised response.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 5:07 PM
  • Bill, thanks for your quick responses but I still get an error when I try your method here is the output:

Get-ADUser : Cannot bind parameter 'Identity'. Cannot convert value "@{sAMAccountName=stmAdairB}" to type "Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADUser". Error: "Cannot convert the

"@{sAMAccountName=stmAdairB}" value of type "System.Management.Automation.PSCustomObject" to type "Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADUser"."

At line:1 char:88

+ ... ct {get-aduser $_ -properties LastLogonDate,Enabled}

+                    ~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-ADUser], ParameterBindingException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgumentNoMessage,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.Commands.GetADUser

I can verify that the usernames in AD so I am not sure why it says it does not match.

Thursday, May 1, 2014 1:38 PM
  • That error is indicative of the fact that you are not passing a string value to the Identity parameter, but rather a hashtable as referenced by the @{}. You have a collection of sAMAccountName values coming from your CSV that you need to extract. The corrected version is below. Also note that "Enable" is not a valid property. It's "Enabled".

$sAMAccountNames = Import-csv -path Z:\PowerShellScripts\Input\username.csv 
    $sAMAccountNames | % { Get-ADUser -Identity $_.sAMAccountName -Properties LastlogonDate,Enabled }

Thursday, May 1, 2014 2:29 PM
  • You don't need to include the enabled property as its a default property for Get-ADUser.

LastlogonDate is a subset of LastLogonTimeStamp.

Please read the following article which explains the difference between Lastlogon and LastLogonTimeStamp, before you start.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22461.understanding-the-ad-account-attributes-lastlogon-lastlogontimestamp-and-lastlogondate.aspx

Thursday, May 1, 2014 3:12 PM
  • Anthony Guimelli is correct; I omitted the property name from my code. I added it to my response.

Thursday, May 1, 2014 3:19 PM
  • Here's an advanced function which should return the lastlogon across domain controllers (I've amended it to include the enabled property).

Function Get-LastLogon {
        <#
        .SYNOPSIS
        Returns LastLogon information
        .DESCRIPTION
        Queries the LastLogin information for a user across domain controllers and returns the highest (latest) value
        .EXAMPLE
        Get-LastLogon User
        .EXAMPLE
        Get-LastLogon -Identity User
        .EXAMPLE
        Get-ADUser User | Get-LastLogon
        .EXAMPLE
        Get-LastLogon User1, User2
        .EXAMPLE
        Get-ADGroupMember "Domain Admins" | Get-LastLogon
        .PARAMETER users
        List of users - pipeline can be used
        #>

[CmdletBinding()]
        param
        (
        [Parameter(Position= 0,
                    Mandatory=$True,
                        ValueFromPipeline=$True,
                            HelpMessage='What user would you like to find the last logon for?')]
        $identity
    	)

Begin {}

Process {

Foreach ($account in $identity) {

$dateStamp = $null
                $domainController =$null

Get-ADDomainController -Filter * | Foreach {

$dc = $_.HostName

$user = Get-ADUser $account -Properties LastLogon -server $dc | Select-Object samAccountName, enabled, @{n='LastLogon';e={[DateTime]::FromFileTime($_.LastLogon)}}

$lastLogon = $user.LastLogon

If ($dateStamp -le $lastlogon)
                        {
                        $dateStamp = $lastlogon
                        $domainController = $dc
                        }

} # End of ForEach

$properties = @{
                samAccountName=$user.samAccountName;
                enabled=$user.enabled
                LastLogon=$dateStamp;
                DomainController=$domainController

}

Write-Output (New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Prop $properties)

} # End of ForEach

} # End of Process

End {}          

} # End of Function
    You can then run...

Import-CSV ".\users.csv" | % {Get-LastLogon $_.samaccountname}

or...

Import-CSV ".\users.csv" | % {Get-LastLogon $_.samaccountname} | Export-CSV ".\report.csv" -noType
    • Edited by Newbie Jones Thursday, May 1, 2014 3:43 PM Export-CSV
    Thursday, May 1, 2014 3:34 PM
  • You do not need to do this:
    Write-Output (New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Prop $properties)

It is identical tothis:
    New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Prop $properties

Adding Write-Output by passes the Out-Default which is used in the pipeline so things will tend to behave oddly.

Out-Default allows the pipeline full control.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, May 1, 2014 6:18 PM