How to add AD Group to the Global Operators Group and have the list show users instead of groups? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been playing with the Global Operators group to resolve the problem of the console freezing when attempting to use the Assigned to User field.  I used the "Included Members" area to add AD groups that have users populated but when I go to select a user in the form,  It just shows me those groups and not the actual users.  Is there a way to have it sort by AD groups without requiring me to add all the individual users?
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:34 PM

Answers

• The Global Operators Group is working as a filter of objects (Assigned User field). The group is not designed to control the permissions like a role. You need to add the User Accounts/User CIs to the group. The AD group membership is not resolved to show the group objects and the members (users in the AD group you add).

Hope this helps.

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

• Marked as answer by Misha Rudiy Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:56 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:15 PM
  • Most of the Console users that would receive assignments are members of the same OU.  Filtering up to the upper OU Level I was able to get most of the people populated.  I will add the users that I missed manually.  Thanks for the assistance Andreas.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:56 PM

All replies

• Adding user groups to the user role just allows permissions.  In order to assign a work item you will need to have CI's for the groups as well as the users.

- Get on the floor, do that dinosaur

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 5:55 PM
  • The Global Operators Group is accessed from the Library.  It is different the user roles.  It basically is meant to scope down the Assigned to field.  By default it is set to query all of AD users.  I would just like it to query a handful of groups and let me pick the users and not the groups.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:53 PM
  • The Global Operators Group is working as a filter of objects (Assigned User field). The group is not designed to control the permissions like a role. You need to add the User Accounts/User CIs to the group. The AD group membership is not resolved to show the group objects and the members (users in the AD group you add).

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:15 PM
  • So basically it can not filter users based on group memberships. Also with Dynamic Memberships it appears that you can not include the criteria for "Member of". The only thing that might might work is to create a Dynamic membership rule for Active Directory User that ends with the Organizational Unit.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:21 PM
  • If all users are in one Organizational Unit, yes. Or if maybe the department of a user contains "something", .... 

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:38 PM
  • Most of the Console users that would receive assignments are members of the same OU.  Filtering up to the upper OU Level I was able to get most of the people populated.  I will add the users that I missed manually.  Thanks for the assistance Andreas.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:56 PM