EMC Console and PowerShell fail to load | The WinRM client tried to use the Kerberos authentication mechanism RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

Since my last post, I've switched companies. In my current Exchange environment, we have three domains. The master domain has an Exchange 2010 environment which is working correctly. My issue is with one of the old legacy domains.

I have been trying to access the EMC and PowerShell console, but am unable to do so. Every time I bring up EMC it fails, and every time PowerShell comes up, it cycles through the old legacy Exchange 2010 servers and only connects when it tries to connect to the new servers. 

The error I am getting when it cycles through the old servers is: "Connection to remote server failed with the following error message: The WinRM client cannot process the request. The WinRM client tried to use Kerberos authentication mechanism, but the destination computer returned an access denied error."

Obviously, this is not what I want. Part of my tasks is to very no data is flowing through these old machines and decommission them upon verification. These are the troubleshooting tasks I have done.

• I have verified the Windows Remote Management server is running.
    • I have logged into IIS and verified my PowerShell site's KERBAUTH is set to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Bin\kerbauth.dll" and is set to Native/Local. Also verified WSMan is enabled only on the PowerShell level of IIS and is set to Native/Enabled. I've also removed them both and added them back to no effect.
    • Made sure my Default Website bindings for HTTPS are set to Microsoft Exchange.
    • Downloaded the EMTShooter files and ran them. The message I keep getting back is "The PowerShell virtual directory must point to the "\Exchange Server\v14\ClientAccess\PowerShell". When I check my PowerShell virtual directory settings, it is pointed to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\PowerShell". Do I need to edit my web config file?

I'm currently at a loss on what to do here. It seems like my variation of this issue hasn't been able to be resolved. Any assistance that can be provided, or if it's something simple I am missing, I would appreciate any help!

Thanks!

• Edited by ExAdmin29 Monday, March 2, 2015 9:06 PM
    Monday, March 2, 2015 8:16 PM

Answers

• Did you run EMTShooter.Ps1 ?

check the below article and run EmtShooter.Ps1 and possible you might get some clue as to what's wrong!

Resolving WinRM errors and Exchange 2010 Management tools startup failures - http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/12/07/3411644.aspx

Pavan Maganti ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Wednesday, March 18, 2015 1:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by jim-xu Wednesday, April 8, 2015 2:24 AM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2015 2:47 PM

All replies

• Hi ExAdmin29,

Thank you for your question.

We could refer to the following steps to troubleshoot:

1. Check if port 80 has been using by the other application, for example sharepoint.

2. Check if the Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service are running

3. Check if the Exchange is a member of Exchange Server group

4. Put the self-signed Exchange server cert into the Trusted Root store to check if it work, whether it work or not, removed the self-signed cert from that store

We could also refer to the following link:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/2e0bebab-cbc5-4f14-a7b4-62cca7da8e82/exchange-2010-sp2-emc-initialization-error-using-kerberos-authentication-failed?forum=exchangesvradminlegacy

If there are any questions regarding this issue, please be free to let me know.

Best Regard,

Jim

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Wednesday, March 18, 2015 1:44 PM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2015 8:18 AM
  • Please go through below mentioned article to fix EMC/EMS issue.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/02/04/3409289.aspx

Kindly press Mark as Permanent

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 11:58 AM
  • Did you run EMTShooter.Ps1 ?

check the below article and run EmtShooter.Ps1 and possible you might get some clue as to what's wrong!

Resolving WinRM errors and Exchange 2010 Management tools startup failures - http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/12/07/3411644.aspx

Pavan Maganti ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Wednesday, March 18, 2015 1:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by jim-xu Wednesday, April 8, 2015 2:24 AM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2015 2:47 PM