SCCM 2012 SP1 - SUP role removal or reinstall issue resolution RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I just want to share a fix regarding SUP removal (re-install) issue.

I think I found a bug  regarding SUP role removal/re-install.

When I try to re-install secondary SUP on a site system, when I remove SUP via AdminUI – Administration – Site - Site Systems, it gets removed from the list but I get the following errors, which makes (re-)installation fail.

Severity    Type        Site code Date / Time              System     Component              Message ID              Description

Information               Milestone PS1         4/12/2013 10:28:09 PM           SMS02SS401.ICBCAGENT.NET              SMS_WSUS_CONTROL_MANAGER                1021        Site Component Manager detected that this component should be deinstalled from this site system. Site Component Manager will attempt to deinstall the component every 60 minutes. Site Component Manager will abort the deinstallation if it fails to succeed after 1440 minutes.

Information               Audit        PS1         4/12/2013 10:27:58 PM           sms02ss401.icbcagent.net       Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.exe  30038                User "ICBC\ll1v3" deleted the role of the Windows NT Server "\\SMS02SS401.ICBCAGENT.NET" as a Software update point in the site control file at site PS1.

Error         Milestone PS1         4/12/2013 10:15:45 PM           SMS02SS401.ICBCAGENT.NET              SMS_WSUS_CONTROL_MANAGER       1020                Site Component Manager failed to reinstall this component on this site system.    Solution: Review the previous status messages to determine the exact reason for the failure. Site Component Manager will automatically retry the reinstallation in 60 minutes. To force Site Component Manager to immediately retry the reinstallation, stop and restart Site Component Manager using the Configuration Manager Service Manager.

Error         Detail       PS1         4/12/2013 10:15:45 PM           SMS02SS401.ICBCAGENT.NET              SMS_WSUS_CONTROL_MANAGER       580                Could not delete the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\SMS_EXECUTIVE\Threads\SMS_WSUS_CONTROL_MANAGER" on computer SMS02SS401.ICBCAGENT.NET. The operating system reported error 997: Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.

Information               Milestone PS1         4/12/2013 10:15:40 PM           SMS02SS401.ICBCAGENT.NET              SMS_WSUS_CONTROL_MANAGER                1018        Site Component Manager is reinstalling this component on this site system.

Error         Detail       PS1         4/12/2013 9:14:39 PM             SMS02SS401.ICBCAGENT.NET              SMS_WSUS_CONTROL_MANAGER       580                Could not delete the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\SMS_EXECUTIVE\Threads\SMS_WSUS_CONTROL_MANAGER" on computer SMS02SS401.ICBCAGENT.NET. The operating system reported error 997: Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.

In fact, the registry is under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Components\SMS_EXECUTIVE\Threads\SMS_WSUS_CONTROL_MANAGER

When I trigger uninstall via AdminUI, it failed to remove, thus it think that it is already there when I try to re-install it.

The fix was to manually remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Components\SMS_EXECUTIVE\Threads\ SMS_WSUS_CONTROL_MANAGER registry key then re-try.

Thanks,

Young-

YPae

• Edited by YPae Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:56 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:55 PM

Answers

• self-answered... :)

YPae

• Marked as answer by YPae Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:56 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:56 PM

All replies

• self-answered... :)

YPae

• Marked as answer by YPae Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:56 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:56 PM
  • Thanks, saved me from huge headache! It's the same issue with MP removal/reinstall.
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 3:11 PM
  • Worked for me too!  Thanks for posting!

Shane Curtis

Saturday, December 13, 2014 4:29 PM
  • Yes!!!  this worked for me.  I have SCCM set up with a number of untrusted forests with a firewall in between my SCCM servers and the untrusted forests.  The firewall went down and half of my site servers in the untrusted forests were giving the "operating system reported error 997: Overlapped I/O operation is in progress" on a number of their components. Finally found this, deleted the reg keys under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Components\SMS_EXECUTIVE\Threads" and that allows SCCM to reinstall.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2015 2:25 PM
  • Hi Chucky12234

I have same scenario as you. In my case this worked for me too. The issue I am having is this is happening very frequently. My site servers in the untrusted forests are giving me the message "site component is reinstalling this component on this site system" with almost all the components (MP and DP) very frequently? could this be caused by communication problems between my SCCM Servers and the site servers in the untrusted forests?

Does it happens frequently to you?

Thanks in advance.

Ruben Garcia

Friday, June 17, 2016 12:45 PM