none
MOSS 2013 / SQL Server 2014 - 'Install-SPRSService' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet...

Question

• I have seen this question discussed and answered in several other threads (e.g. this one). The general advice is to install Reporting Services SharePoint mode on the SQL Server either from the downloaded MSI or via the ISO.

The first thing I checked was whether or not SQL Server 2014 was compatible with MOSS 2013 out of the box (it is). After first encountering the error, I read over the threads and decided to install SP2 for SQL Server 2014 as well as the latest cumulative update. After a reboot of the server, the error is still occuring in the SharePoint 2013 Management Shell.

I have exhausted all possibilities. Would anyone happen to know if there are any other items in the configuration that may need adjustment?

• Edited by JGregoryAZ Friday, April 14, 2017 9:36 PM
    Friday, April 14, 2017 9:36 PM

Answers

• So you actually have it incorrect. SSRS must be installed on a SharePoint server in the farm. You shouldn't install SharePoint on a server running the SQL Server Database Engine. This means a separate deployment of SSRS on any SharePoint server of your choosing (FEs give the best performance, but only if spec'ed out properly).

In addition, SharePoint 2013 isn't compatible OOTB with SQL 2014, but instead requires SP 2013 SP1 to be applied to the farm.

Also don't forget because you're installing a separate instance on a different server, it does require a separate SQL Server license for SSRS.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, April 14, 2017 10:06 PM

All replies

• So you actually have it incorrect. SSRS must be installed on a SharePoint server in the farm. You shouldn't install SharePoint on a server running the SQL Server Database Engine. This means a separate deployment of SSRS on any SharePoint server of your choosing (FEs give the best performance, but only if spec'ed out properly).

In addition, SharePoint 2013 isn't compatible OOTB with SQL 2014, but instead requires SP 2013 SP1 to be applied to the farm.

Also don't forget because you're installing a separate instance on a different server, it does require a separate SQL Server license for SSRS.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, April 14, 2017 10:06 PM
  • Thank you for the clarification. Unfortunately, I foresee difficulties in establishing a valid business reason for spending several thousand dollars on an add-in that will afford us nothing more than a few Excel reports in MS Project Server. The same reports could be generated -- for free -- using OpenOffice and a few days of custom coding. A far less expensive prospect than paying twice for a database license to use functionality that, with all intents and purposes, is nothing more than a web-accessible spreadsheet.

Monday, April 17, 2017 12:21 PM